Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far down do you tighten the top nut? My torque wrench will only go down to 20ft lbs. I read until the bushing flatens to almost the size of the washer. Right now from the washer to the top of the shock is 1 1/8" The bushing isnt as wide as the washer yet but I'm not sure if I should keep going lower. They are Monroe SS shocks. Thanks. BTW I am using a shock removal tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gosh, I did this a few months ago. I couldn't figure an exact tightness, but I just tightened till the bushing just started to protrude out from under the washers. The nut should get pretty hard to turn after that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, my friend finally showed up who actually has some experience with shocks. This is my first car without struts, so my first time installing shocks myself.

We tightened it until the bushing was flush with the washer, which made the washer 1 3/8" from the top. I was using a big 22mm wrench which made it hard to gauge how hard I was tightening it. This is my second time installing them, a couple days ago I obviously didnt tighten the bolt enough.

You acess that bolt from a acess hole in the upper A arm right? Then a flange thing on the bottom of the stock with 2 bolts on the lower A arm?
Yeah, the top bolt is acessed through the top, real easy to get to with the wheel off. The two bottom bolts are on the lower arm and are in plain sight. Not sure what you mean by flange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.