Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some shocks that offer a stiffer ride. Which shocks are recommended? Right now I have the Monroe SS shocks, but they are too bouncy and too soft. I have heard many people in here say go with the Bilsteins and many people say go with the HALs. I have a friend that has an Imp and he has the Belltech Nitro-Active and they are stiff. So, I guess my question is once again, out of these three, which are recommended and why?

TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hals if you have the cash. Adjustable to how you want them to ride. Great for the track too $400+

Bilstiens 1104/0929's $260-290. Nice firm ride. No bounce either. Warranty as long as you own the car I believe.

Bell Tech, You are better off with the Monroes you have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depend on how much cash you are going to spend, for very low cost and very stiff, go to KYB. You need extra sponge over your seat while you hit the speed bump.

I have them on my Caprice 9C1.

Originally posted by LOW PROFILE:
I am looking for some shocks that offer a stiffer ride. Which shocks are recommended? Right now I have the Monroe SS shocks, but they are too bouncy and too soft. I have heard many people in here say go with the Bilsteins and many people say go with the HALs. I have a friend that has an Imp and he has the Belltech Nitro-Active and they are stiff. So, I guess my question is once again, out of these three, which are recommended and why?

TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by jz57_cn:
Depend on how much cash you are going to spend, for very low cost and very stiff, go to KYB.
Steer clear from these. That is unless you want to be changing them in the near future again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOW PROFILE:

Many members in this forum highly recommend Monroe SS shocks, so far you are only one complained it soft and bouncy.

What was your initial riding experience and impression after you installed them?

Originally posted by LOW PROFILE:
I am looking for some shocks that offer a stiffer ride. Which shocks are recommended? Right now I have the Monroe SS shocks, but they are too bouncy and too soft.
TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the Sensa-Trac on there before I got the SS shocks. I ride wasn't half bad with those. But, I upgraded to the SS because I just kept hearing how good they were from this forum. So, I decided to try them out. After I installed the SS, that's when I noticed a more bouncy ride and A LOT of body roll. My springs are not even a year old, but I am going to replace them too. I still have the factory sway bars under, which I am going to replace also. The only that is different with the suspension between the Sensa-Trac and the SS shocks switchout is a complete front end rebuild with all Moog parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I said the same thing about them not too long ago and sold them. I think it really comes down to personal opinion and preference. I want something stiff with a more performance feel and the SS's just did not give me that. I switched back to my old shocks which are sensa craps in front and factory out back. The ride hardly changed and I now have something to compare it too, because when I first put the SS's on they were solid but after 1000 or so miles I could tell they got soft. I will probably go with the hals for adjustability.

Like I was saying it comes down to preference and opinion, becuase the new owner of my old SS shocks is very happy with them....

Originally posted by jz57_cn:
LOW PROFILE:

Many members in this forum highly recommend Monroe SS shocks, so far you are only one complained it soft and bouncy.

What was your initial riding experience and impression after you installed them?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LOW PROFILE:
I am looking for some shocks that offer a stiffer ride. Which shocks are recommended? Right now I have the Monroe SS shocks, but they are too bouncy and too soft.
TIA
</font>[/QUOTE]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know now the shock of choice, if you can afford them, are the HALs. But, is it worth the extra money to get the double adjustable(24 way) or stay with the 12 ways?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By far, HAL shocks are the way to go. Some of my buddies and I are using the Edelbrock performance shocks, and they seem to do a pretty darn good job with handling and with adjusting the weight of the car. Just my .02... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I was exiting the freeway yesterday and I heard a loud pop. I thought I blow a tire. So, I pulled over and looked at all the tires and none of them was flat. So, I walked around the car a couple of times because I was thinking that the tire just taking it's time to go flat. But, nothing. So, I was just about to say f#@k it and get back it the car, when this guy in an 18 wheeler got my attention. He was just sitting in the same parking lot watching me. He yelled that my shock was hanging. Yep, rear right was just hanging there. It seems that the bottom bolt came out. Weird? I went to O'reilly's where I bought the shocks to see if I could buy a bolt and nut to put in there. The guy told me that I would have to take the bolt off the other one and bring it in so they could match it up. I was like, "I bought these Monroe SS from here and you don't know what size bolt goes in there"? So, on my way to go to take the shock off, the shock just kept hitting the ground, under the car, and hitting those white disks on the highway that separates lanes. So, that shock is no longer any good. So, it looks like I will be getting those HAL's much sooner than I thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.