Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to get 17” wheels that allow for 315’s in the rear. Any thoughts on these 3 styles? I’m going 5 spoke with a nod to the stock wheels. I’m going fully polished face and rim (I know polished anything that is many years out of style, but that suits my old man tastes).
My car is more an effort at re-building an old car, rather than an attempt at looking cool by today’s standards.
Pictures are not in order, but I’m thinking #1 Forgeline, #2 Fikse, #3 HRE...
CEFFB620-20C2-4AFF-8866-4F190B92473F.jpeg
CA5CE348-CEED-44FD-9BE3-1773A5A64BF1.png
FB388BB1-8B25-4606-ABE4-7D0FA80A9E39.png

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You could send stock rims to Weldcraft in Livonia,Michigan for widening if you like.

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
(snips)
I’m going to get 17” wheels that allow for 315’s in the rear. .............
I’m going 5 spoke with a nod to the stock wheels. ............
My car is more an effort at re-building an old car, rather than an attempt at looking cool by today’s standards.
+1 on Weldcraft. That's what I did for mine when it was new, and couldn't be more pleased. It'll tick all the boxes on your list, plus save you from being limited to just a nod at preserving stock. Plus plus saving the expense of replacing your fronts for no benefit. Wheel refinisher/repairers can polish out your stockers if that's your preference.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I wasn’t thrilled with spacers or my stock wheels. You have got me thinking though...
I am going back to re-read all of the “widening stock wheels” threads.
My wife would be thrilled with saving $4K, and I guess the wheels just don’t “move” me anymore since I have had them since 1994. Perhaps wider rubber would be enough to make me fall in love with those old 5 spokes again. You guys make excellent points; I need to research a little more before I pull the new wheel trigger.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
There's a widening co. in CA (Vaughn?) and another in TX that have been referenced in decades past.

I guess I wasn’t thrilled with spacers or my stock wheels. ......
Not clear on your meaning, but you can widen the stock wheels to 10" with ample clearance both inboard and out with no spacers. I've read guys claimed to have gone to 10 1/2" and 11", but a spacer may be needed at that point.

My wife will be thrilled with saving $4K, .......
Fixt that for you. Yah, wheels are always nice, but I've gotten repeat comments from fellas surprised to find my factory wheels widened, where it doesn't seem near as unusual (and almost expected) running any aftemarket wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
While I would recommend Eric Vaughn in a second as his method was to splice an aftermarket rear shell on leaving just one small weld, he doesn't widen wheels anymore ☹☹
He did the rears on my G8
IMG-20160413-02179.jpg
IMG-20160413-02180.jpg

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not clear on your meaning, but you can widen the stock wheels to 10" with ample clearance both inboard and out with no spacers. I've read guys claimed to have gone to 10 1/2" and 11", but a spacer may be needed at that point.
I am going to try and measure my way into an 11" wheel as it offers two dying wheel options instead of just one (315 and 335). I know I can't fit a 335 without frame work, but if all the 315's go away, I would hope the Michelin 335's are still around (so my wheels would still be good to use). I am only considering 315's at this point.
The spacer comment was because I knew I wanted wider than 10" wheels, and also knowing my personal preference is to move the tires outward to be more flush with the fenders.

Fixt that for you. Yah, wheels are always nice, but I've gotten repeat comments from fellas surprised to find my factory wheels widened, where it doesn't seem near as unusual (and almost expected) running any aftemarket wheels.
[/QUOTE]
I think you have a great point here. 315's on a stack wheel would be so sleeper, and I love that thought! Now days I guess the stock wheels are pretty unique. I am leaning toward widening all 4 stockers, and I can always buy new ones if I am not happy. I could save so much money!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I messed up the reply with quotes. I'm sorry the above is hard to read.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Meh, no biggee. In all honesty it's becoming a rare treat to see dots, commas and capital letters in a post, much less seeing them all where they belong. So, you're good. Yah, 315s in 17" are becoming unobtanium. So, you can piss off the Mrs. with a stronger business case for all-new wheels in a different dia. 335s tip into the 'garish' bucket without qualifying power to validate them. I'm not seeing the widening the fronts though. There's a guy with a thread 4-6 years back really bent on the same idea. OEM carries 275- or 285- just fine, which seems plenty wide for anything short of dirt circle track.......... IMHO There is/was a company making 'real close' match to our oem wheels in different diameters once upon a time.Too much larger dia. and the spokes looked too spindly.

I've had 285/40 all around on stock wheels, but these are just 275/40 Continentals which match dia. of the rear 315/35s (which I THINK) is exactly stock dia. of 255/50.

Hint for future: You have up to 24 hrs. to alter a post. Click the 3 dots upper rt. of your post and edit away! You can also click 'Reply' to the post being referenced (in this case, mine) and respond accordingly.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Thanks. The only thing dresses it up more is the trophy wife ornament. Amazing how nice pretty much all-stock outside and sacked out orig. coils can look on these old tubs. You may recall the lights are the longtime NLA FocuzTech SStreetlights. Pity the oncoming easily triggered Sallys at night a few times who flashed me actually thinking those little fog lights could be the brights. They'd get a brief flash back in return for a taste of what the real brights are like.

You reminded me I still need to black out the inside of the clear corners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts