Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... or non-woody RoadMonster ??

Here's the deal - He's got a minivan now thats about to die ... cant afford to buy new right now. Has 3 kids about 11, 9, and 7 plus a small dawg.

Of course I suggested a RoadMonster Wagon - but - now Im wondering. I dont have kids, so I 'm guessing that it would be "Roomy" enough for them.

Anyone want to chime in ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With you around, he should definately NOT be getting a woody.

The only thing I can think of is that the woody takes a few more dings from the kids. Kinda like camo. That's the only plus I can think of other than the fact that it looks cool. Just tell him to find the one in the best condition that he can. It sounds like that's more important anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sport
The RMW should be more than "roomy" enough for them. I should know, I have 3 B Body wagons, see sig. :D They have 3 rows of seats, and using just the front 2 seats, more than enough frrom for shopping and the puppy, too. Fred (Ruphrax) has a great selection of wagons, and at great prices too! Your both in NY, so hook up with him. Let us know when he gets one.

Larry

[ 12-29-2006, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: The AdventureSS of Acme Racer.... ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With 5 kids,it's been my experience that its not so much the size of the vehicle, so much as its the quality of the electronic babysitters,
i.e mp3/gameboy/dvd etc, they're all happy to go in one of the wagons or the conversion van,.the two teenage boys commandeer the 3rd seat both with head phones and mp3's the 2 little ones and the 16yr girl ride happily in the back seat listening to whatever mum and dad like,.
we have a 13"lcd screen with dvdmp3 etc in the conversion van, and its not always easy to pick a movie the whole crowd likes,. so we are looking at portable 7" dvd's with head phones,. so everyone of them can watch whatever they like,..
as far as more than 6hrs total driving times, we prefer the conversion van when we have the whole crew on board.
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get the whole SUV/Minivan thing, but then again - there are no more big wagons, but I still don't get why, other than automakers are greedy & find more PROFIT in SUV's & therefore push them in marketing. When we were kids (there were FOUR of us) we rode in a '73 Electra Wagon & then two '76 Olds 98 Wagons. Then we had boxy Pontiac, Olds, & Buick wagons. Even after we were ALL out of the house, my parents bought the DCM '96 wagon new because "why not"? We went on plenty of vacations, used the roof-rack for bags & all was fine. Today, I just have one kid, wife drives Caddy or Wagon & I wouldn't even think of using the big diesel Suburban unless I was leaving the state, towing, or moving something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer the non-wood 'cause it looks cleaner. But either way it's a great way to travel.

I had a Suburban, and though it was a great truck, it was definitely a truck. The Roady wagon will actually haul the family more comfortably than the truck. It will drive/perform better than both the minivan and the truck. You might even get better mileage from the Roadie.

My 95 DCM Caprice wgn got 26 mpg @ 80 mph, with A/C on, going through the desert from LA to Phoenix. It wasn't as good coming back 'cause I had a 4500 lb boat in tow, and a stiff head-wind. But it easily towed the boat, and hauled the family to the lakes. The bonus is the ability to haul stuff - like 4'x8' drywall or plywood, etc.

Too bad GM doesn't have the guts (or forsight) to make another full sized, rear wheel drive wagon...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think of my wag as a luxury car that can moonlite as a pickup truck as needed. No kids, 2 dogs, and a whole lotta projects!!!

As for wood/no-wood, Id be more concearned with finding the right condition, and then live with whatever cosmetics it came with...to a point....kinda like girlfriends.

PS definately give the girlfriends the wood!!!!

D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.