Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was comming home Halloween night when I notice the oil pressure was dropping to 0 on the idle never a good feeling I planned on upgrading the pump but not at this time.So today me and my flu went out to investigate,I hooked up a mechanical gage and it was reading 20psi hot what a relief.Turns out the oil pressure switch I replaced back in Jan. took a dump. Good thing there was a 1yr warranty I guess Borg Warner ain't what they use to be.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
A cheap fix is a good fix. Not everything is a major undertaking. The lesson here is to troubleshoot before just replacing parts, and don't let your imagination get the best of you.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That reminds me of when I swapped a new 355 in my B4U. On the first start-up the oil pressure needle barely moved passed the "red zone" on the gauge... I was in shock... my brand new enigne witch I just spent alot of time and money on had low oil pressure right on start-up :(

Then I decided to just ignore the OEM pressure gauge and test it with a known good oil pressure gauge. All was just fine.

I later learned that my B4U didnt have the right resistance in the harness for the gauge, because it originally has a pressure switch and I had installer a pressure sender from a 9C1. It was a cheap and easy fix after all and not catastrophic failiure as I first thought.

A cheap fix is a good fix. Not everything is a major undertaking. The lesson here is to troubleshoot before just replacing parts, and don't let your imagination get the best of you.
+1 !!!!

alot of my friends just throw parts at a problem... usually without alot of success. Taking the time to actually identify the exact source of the problem BEFORE trying any "repair" will always pay off. cwm7

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.