Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the makers of Simply's Front end Suspension Rebuild comes another thread on Installation of Tri-Y headers & Hi-flow CATS from Clear Image Automotive. Like most things this is probably going to take 2x to 3x longer than most people as I will probably get distracted by other things I want to do while I'm in there (If you saw my front end rebuild thread you know exactly what I'm talking about.) I already plan on replacing the plugs and plug wires but not sure how much of that I'm going to show.

Lets get this party started.

1. Read, read, read, read.

You can't go into everything like a boss, you gotta read up. Some good tips here. http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/b_and_d_body_headers_installation_tips.php
Being familiar with your exhaust system is going to help out too.

2. When you don't know Ask.
There are no stupid questions if you honestly don't know. For example, I have a 94 Impala SS so I only have (2) o2 sensors. I honestly just sent an email to Dan @ Clear Image asking what I should plug the other openings with.

3. Tools/Parts you will need.

• Tri-Y headers with their hi-flow CATS. These start and stop at the stock position so they just bolt right up, no trips to the exhaust shop necessary
  • PB Blaster or approved equal
  • Sockets, ratchet, beverage of choice, patience,and socket extensions
  • A Good compact light
  • Jack Stands etc..
  • Exhaust gaskets
  • 14MM, 1/2", 9/16" regular and deep sockets (Seems most of the bolts are these)
  • variety of extensions
  • Cheater bar
  • creativity
  • Patience
4. Safety.
I've never died but it looks painful, being crushed underneath the car is not what I want for you or me. So use jack stands and be safe.
O AND DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY OR YOU WILL RANDOMLY TOUCH YOUR STARTER WITH SOMETHING AND FRY YOUR ***. Ask me how I know.

5. Say hello to my little friend!
This should almost be step 0. honestly soak the bolts as soon as possible to give yourself a chance. You should have bought stock in this stuff because it makes your life a lot easier.

6. What to soak with PB Blaster.

Each exhaust manifold has (6) bolts connecting it to the block. The passenger side also has some fun alternator brackets and EGR valve BS you get to play with too. You are going to have to fight both under the hood and in the wheel wells to get to them. You are going to want to remove your wheel & wheel well skirts for better access.

This is a pic of the driver side exhaust manifolds. look at how nice my new upper control arms look! You can get to 5 of the 6 bolts from here though you can only see 3 in this picture.

Last bolt in the rear of the block is best attacked from above. Can't even get a good pic of it but you'll see it back there. You can get to the top of the CAT bolts here too.

So those are the bolts for the manifold. Now you need to get both ends of the CATS. This is the connection between the CAT and the manifold. 3 bolts here to soak. (forgot the 3rd one and had to go back to it after seeing this pic)

And the ones at the end of the CATs (2) bolts here at least on mine, I don't have a stock CAT back exhaust so yours may be different.

Passenger side is similar except you have the EGR valve to mess with and alternator brackets as well. Also, your rear exhaust manifold bolt is probably broke (Almost every person's I talk to is) just like mine. You will get to see me struggle with that soon.

More updates as I get farther along.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because I didn't buy them direct from Clear Image. I got the headers and cats from another member in my car club for 1/2 off. I thought those were the cats from Clear image so now I have a concern that they won't line up...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I talked to Dan the random techs are the old ones. I need to cap the o2 sensor holes in them though as I have a 94

I got the driver side loose. Plug wires should Come in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
20,388 Posts
........I need to cap the o2 sensor holes in them though as I have a 94.......
You could swap out you old O2s for new O2s......and cut the wires off the old O2s to use as plugs for your cats.

Just sayin'.......

KW

·
Premium Member
20,388 Posts
OK......snip off the electrode from a couple of your old spark plugs and use them......they'll fit.....been there, done that ;) .

KW

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Don´t forget to remove the water temp sensor from the passenger side head or you will need to add it under #3 :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Driver side manifold bolts all broke loose without incident. I then started on the driver side manifold/cat connection. I got 1 nut completely off before the wife said we were going to the in-laws for dinner.

So far I've only had to use 9/16 sockets or 14MM. both regular and deep socket with a variety of extensions and cheater pipe. I used a flat blade screw driver to beat some of the rust off of the nut on the cat so I could make good contact with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dude, are you sure you have a broken manifold bolt? I just removed my manifolds/cats and found something strange. The farthest "bolt holes" on the drivers and passenger side were not bolt holes. While it looks like they are gone/broken, once you remove both manifolds (ten bolts) you will expose two unused factory bolt holes. Not sure if its just my car (stock 96 ss) or not but I was pleasantly surprised to find that all holes (12) are clean and exposed with manifold off. Weird. I'll do a write up when done. Got everthing off, headders hung, and ran out of time. Will finish everything tomorrow night. Im doing gen2 tri-y's and cia cats.

·
Premium Member
20,388 Posts
Dude, are you sure you have a broken manifold bolt......
He never said he had broken bolts.....he said the bolts all broke loose cwm2 .

Driver side manifold bolts all broke loose without incident........
As in.....they came out with no issues ;) .....:p

KW

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, your rear exhaust manifold bolt is probably broke (Almost every person's I talk to is) just like mine. You will get to see me struggle with that soon.
Yeah I'm not sure that the broke is bolt but the nut is definitely missing. I should be able to remove the manifold and then figure out how to remove the bolt. I'll have to see if the Tri-Ys even use that bolt. I'm not too concerned about it for the moment. We'll see if I feel the same by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
He never said he had broken bolts.....he said the bolts all broke loose cwm2 .

As in.....they came out with no issues ;) .....:p

KW
The only reason I mentioned this is because he said that these cars are prone to having a missing/broken bolt. It looks like there is a missing bolt when you look at the stock manifolds. When I looked at mine, I assumed I had the same issue and was ready to drill and tap. What I'm saying is that the last hole wasn't used on both sides of my car. When you take the manifolds off, the last holes in the head on either side become exposed. If this didn't help dude then sorry. If you don't believe me then look at the backside of the manifolds; the last "hole" isn't close to where a bolt should go. Maybe it's just my car but I doubt it.

I liked the write-up so far and the only reason I'm contributing is cause I'm doing/done with the exact same job as the author.

The Tri-y's use 12 bolts, 3/8-16. I only pulled 10 off my stock manifolds.

Not trying to hijack the thread..continue on and good luck!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Driver side is off with little to no incident. The o2 sensor didn't want to come out so I took off the electrical connection and will fight that after letting it soak in PB Blaster.

Things are going SSlow... separated my sternum on Thursday so didn't want to overdo it on Saturday plus I picked up a "Free" lawnmower if I could get it running which "The Fooser Guy" came over and helped me with. Then we got some nasty hail storms which dented the hell out of the wife's new car and flooded the garage. (Glad I noticed before the new headers sat in water all night!) Also the rain got into some outside electrical sockets and were tripping the circuit breaker all night so I've got to get some weatherproof boxes... Just a lot of 1st world problems going on lately so I doubt I get much further than this this weekend.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well had to run to the parts store to get some outdoor outlet covers so I took my cats with me. Ended up at Autozone and found an oil drain plug that should work. It threaded in very tight and worse case I'll take it out and put something else in there. I did not install the plastic washer as I figured it would just melt.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
was in the house watching baseball so decided to gap my spark plugs during commercials.

just wondering, why'd you choose NGK over AC Delco's?? i,too, changed my wires and plugs while i was in there. used the MSD's like you did but i got advance auto parts to price match amazon.com for some delco plugs and got them for dirt cheap... nice writeup though!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.