Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few single DIN head units in GM cars that look as if they were stock (they look smooth). But most i see have that mounting hardware which makes the unit bulge out and look terrible. Are the good mounts i see custom made or is a kit available anywhere? I'm looking to replace my wonderful stock unit ( :rolleyes: ), but the only good-looking option i see right now is Pioneer's DEH-P77DH. Any insight?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Pioneer 1.5 din units are nice, I run the DEH-P47 in my 9C1. I cheaped out recently on my wagon though. I got a din Pioneer (P3500?) and went with a mounting kit. I use that car more and wanted the smaller faceplate and some of the features more than anything.

Anyway, Metra makes a mounting kit (#99-3300?) that I used. I hade to elongate all the holes on the sides to get it to fit perfect but all in all I am happy with it. I only had to trim minimal dash plastic behind to get it to sit flush. You should be able to buy that Metra kit at any Circuit City or Best Buy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can look at my website as to how I mounted a 1DIN Clarion CD Player in my Impala. I also explain how I did it. It takes some time, but I think it looks a lot better than the "Bulge" install.

Let me know if you have any questions,
TOM B

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, here's why i was thinking about a single DIN unit. I really like the Pioneer DEH-P77DH unit since it'll fit nicely in the stock location. BUT, I have a Kenwood KDC-C601 10-disc changer (yeah, it's old). One problem with this changer is that the remote i have can't fast-forward any songs. It can go up/down tracks, but no ff. :(

Anywho, Kenwood has no 1.5 DIN units. If i do get a Kenwood single with CD changer controls, I'm hoping it'd be compatible so i can ff and such. BTW, is there any device that i could put on the Pioneer so i could control the changer with that head unit? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts