Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the intake sitting in my Tv room, it needs to be drilled, and have the injector bungs welded in.

Any recomendation on rails, or just any tips on getting it done?

I was going to use my stock TPI fuel rail.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The stock intake is basically a single plane intake. If you plan on revving past 6500, then just stick with the stocker. Otherwise, look into First Fuel Injection's improved TPI that's good to 6500 rpm and adds as much as 30 ft/lbs over the stock intake.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock intake is basically a single plane intake. If you plan on revving past 6500, then just stick with the stocker. Otherwise, look into First Fuel Injection's improved TPI that's good to 6500 rpm and adds as much as 30 ft/lbs over the stock intake.
Yeah the First TPI would be nice, but it cost $1400. I dont have that kind od money.

I forgot to mention that its a vortec head setup.

I have a single plane vortec thats already paid for. (not trying to be smart just saying)

I paid $90 for a $220 intake, so ima mod it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
OK, but are you sure you're going to be saving money? That single plane will need a throttle body, fuel rail, regulator, intake plumbing, fuel injector ports...

·
Registered
964 Posts
You have to excuse my ignorance since I have never worked on anything Vortec, but what makes it special? Is the bolt pattern different than any other 1986+ small block?

Randy is right, you could EASILY end up offsetting any value once you start talking about welding bungs, fitting fuel rails, etc...even if you got the intake for free...if something else will fit. I would be inclined to look for a used made-for-EFI intake since they have been around for a while. You may be money ahead buying a used complete setup (Holley, Edelbrock, etc) and re-selling wiring/electronics.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, but are you sure you're going to be saving money? That single plane will need a throttle body, fuel rail, regulator, intake plumbing, fuel injector ports...

750 cfm Carb as a throttle body, Im re using my fuel rails and regulators (or either an SSEI bonnie reg to go with the 36lb injectors from the car). Dont need it plumbed im just going to use flexible fuel line to go to the stock fuel lines.

Injector bungs are $80, im expecting it to cost 100-150 in labor to get it welded in.

The total cost invested in is a tad less then a pre made intake.

I can do this in stages, being a college student, and not having a job meens I dont have the luxury to drop down $700 on a complete setup.

You have to excuse my ignorance since I have never worked on anything Vortec, but what makes it special? Is the bolt pattern different than any other 1986+ small block?

Randy is right, you could EASILY end up offsetting any value once you start talking about welding bungs, fitting fuel rails, etc...even if you got the intake for free...if something else will fit. I would be inclined to look for a used made-for-EFI intake since they have been around for a while. You may be money ahead buying a used complete setup (Holley, Edelbrock, etc) and re-selling wiring/electronics.
Vortecs is in entire different bolt pattern that was invented in 96, trucks used it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Vortecs is in entire different bolt pattern that was invented in 96, trucks used it.
Hmm, you are right. Took me less than 30 seconds to find this article:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/index.html

I can see why you want to pursue the Vortec heads, but it makes a lot more sense when bolting a carb on than retrofitting EFI.

You better ask around about fabrication prices on getting that intake modded properly before you commit to the project. We did exactly this to a Weiand Team-G BBC intake years ago when we converted the race car to EFI and the amount of work was significant. There were no EFI intakes available at the time. I don't remember the exact number, but I do remember being shocked at the line item when paying the bill cwm3

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, you are right. Took me less than 30 seconds to find this article:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/index.html

I can see why you want to pursue the Vortec heads, but it makes a lot more sense when bolting a carb on than retrofitting EFI.

You better ask around about fabrication prices on getting that intake modded properly before you commit to the project. We did exactly this to a Weiand Team-G BBC intake years ago when we converted the race car to EFI and the amount of work was significant. There were no EFI intakes available at the time. I don't remember the exact number, but I do remember being shocked at the line item when paying the bill cwm3

Yeah getting everything converted with no parts at all like rails, reg, and getting everything machinded was about $400 on the cheap side. One of my dads freinds said it was $600 for his.

I dont need all that stuff, just getting it drilled and welded. I got it from there.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
if you want EFI, why not convert to LT1 ??

you can buy complete LT1's with PCM and harness for "cheap". At that price you get a PCM, harness, good vortec style LT1 heads, a kick-ass intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rails, etc...

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
If money's the primary concern, I suggest you start combing your local salvage yards. You should be able to pick up a complete intake with fuel injectors, throttle body, etc for cheaper than you can mod it, and the vortec intake manifolds are pretty good, and their intake runners are longer than a single plane intake's, which is going to help you a lot.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't really have any advise for you either but if you want an EFI-ready Vortec-compatible intake the Holley Stealth Ram will get it done. Or I'm pretty sure you can just drill the TPI Intake already on your car to match it up with your new Vortec heads. Or are you already running the Vortecs and you just want a single plane and more flow than a TPI can give?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
here's an idea... a buddy of mine modified a LT1 intake to fit his L98 3rd gen f-body...

Couldnt you modify the bolt patern for vortec heads and a distributor?

Then install the OEM LT1 fuel rails and injectors with the TPI throttle body and control everything with a TPI ECU setup.

All parts available for cheap and plenty of stock used parts for sale and the LT1 intake manifold flows great.

Just throwing ideas around... cwm7

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
There used to be a website called LT1intake.com that modified LT1 intakes for TPI engine but can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's an idea... a buddy of mine modified a LT1 intake to fit his L98 3rd gen f-body...

Couldnt you modify the bolt patern for vortec heads and a distributor?

Then install the OEM LT1 fuel rails and injectors with the TPI throttle body and control everything with a TPI ECU setup.

All parts available for cheap and plenty of stock used parts for sale and the LT1 intake manifold flows great.

Just throwing ideas around... cwm7

No you cant modify any intake (non vortec) to work on a vortec, the ports dont line up. If you try and do it, your hurting the flow of the heads, which would offset the conversion.

If money's the primary concern, I suggest you start combing your local salvage yards. You should be able to pick up a complete intake with fuel injectors, throttle body, etc for cheaper than you can mod it, and the vortec intake manifolds are pretty good, and their intake runners are longer than a single plane intake's, which is going to help you a lot.

Money is a problem but its not that bad.

Heres the story.

My dad blew his Vortec 406 in his camaro.

Hes giving me his heads, they have springs rated up .600 lift aswell, been cleaned, and it has roller tip rockers, and hes even giving me the valve covers.

Also the TH350 and the 3500 stall.

I have everything I need to do it.

To run a LT1, I have to get the head machined for a bigger lift cam. That cost.

If I did that, and got a LT1 intake, id have to do a converion, that cost.

The LT1intake site is gone from what I belive.

Why turn down whats being given to me?

I was quoted at $200 plus the bungs to get done. Im fine with that.

So having spent $360 as opposed to a satin alluminum vortec that cost $330 im not doing bad. Mines Polished.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Well, throw this out for me. The throttle body, what TB could I use besides a 454 TBI? thats not $2,000,000?

I was looking at the inatke elbows and using a stock LSx (lq4-lq9 or vortec TB on it) but it cost about $150 for the elbow.

Thats why I was going to grab a junk 700-750 carb from someone, mainly my cousin who has a bunch of junk just hangin out.

·
Registered
797 Posts
you could get an adapter from vintage speed they make a piece that lets you bolt 2 2 barrel carbs to a single 4 barrel intake that along with 2 home made tbi plates would let you run dual tbi units as throttle bodies the adapter is $99 but you can get a couple old tbi's damn near if not free.. that would be like 1300 cfm or somthing wouldnt it? would come out cheaper than and lsx tb and elbow and have people tryna figure out what the hell you have going on at the same time lol

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you could get an adapter from vintage speed they make a piece that lets you bolt 2 2 barrel carbs to a single 4 barrel intake that along with 2 home made tbi plates would let you run dual tbi units as throttle bodies the adapter is $99 but you can get a couple old tbi's damn near if not free.. that would be like 1300 cfm or somthing wouldnt it? would come out cheaper than and lsx tb and elbow and have people tryna figure out what the hell you have going on at the same time lol
I love having the wth do you have going on look too.

That would be awesome.

I like the idea, and I wish I had kept both my old TBIs now :( I sold both og them lol.

Looks like 40ea for an adapter new from summit, 100 for the dual 2bbl unit. Linkage would be my only problem. But Id have an IAC,TPS, Foot pedal cable for atleast one.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

thanks man, I like that idea, better then the carb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts