Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 96 9c tops out at 106mph, what options are out there. is there a way to remove the governor or reprogram to get more speed outta my engine>?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It can be removed with a pcm reprogram. pcmperformance or pcm for less. check out the forum below

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
my 96 9c tops out at 106mph, what options are out there. is there a way to remove the governor or reprogram to get more speed outta my engine>?
Stock programming had, to my knowledge, no limiter for 9C1's.

If your car can't go beyond 106, you either have engine internal issues preventing it from going faster, the stock program was re-flashed or someone replaced the original PCM w/ a B4U or similar counterpart.

EDIT - Is it an L99 or LT1?

·
Registered
205 Posts
my 9c1 got to 136, with pedal left on the 5 (no retune done). You might have another issue.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I've had my 9C1 up to 131 with more pedal left but I had a vibration in the driveshaft so I did not push it any harder.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
It's because you don't have a 9c1. You were told this before when you wanted to know how to convert your mechanical fan. You have a B4U, presuming you have an LT1, and the speed limiter is set at 108. It is set that way because of tires. If you don't have speed rated tires, you need to get some before having the PCM re-flashed to remove the speed limiter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
^^^ problem fixed!

·
Registered
581 Posts
9C1 that came stock with H rated tires has a 130MPH limiter (and yes I have hit it before) and V rated cars should be at 148MPH limiter. The Impala SS had 154MPH limiter, but is aerodynamically limited in stock form engine wise so may not actually be able to hit it. The Civilian cars generally had relatively low speed limiters generally 108 or 120 due to S and T rated tires stock with them. - Peter

Stock programming had, to my knowledge, no limiter for 9C1's.

If your car can't go beyond 106, you either have engine internal issues preventing it from going faster, the stock program was re-flashed or someone replaced the original PCM w/ a B4U or similar counterpart.

EDIT - Is it an L99 or LT1?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
9C1 that came stock with H rated tires has a 130MPH limiter (and yes I have hit it before) and V rated cars should be at 148MPH limiter...The Civilian cars generally had relatively low speed limiters generally 108 or 120 due to S and T rated tires stock with them. - Peter
Yep. That's sounds right. It's been so long since I've had the limiter removed w/ programming, I forgot. I knew there had to be a reason for the "close all windows @ 140 mph..." sticker. And yeah, I hit that once too on the stock Eagle's, but it wasn't the tires I was most worried about. Straight road is a good thing at that speed!

It's because you don't have a 9c1...You have a B4U, presuming you have an LT1, and the speed limiter is set at 108. It is set that way because of tires. If you don't have speed rated tires, you need to get some before having the PCM re-flashed to remove the speed limiter.
Hmmn. OP; have you checked your dash VIN against your trunk SPID label VIN and verified they match? If so, check for option 9C1. That'll determine if you've an actual 9C1. If VIN's don't match and you've a different trunk lid, there's no way of telling w/out research just what option codes it came w/.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts