Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do they go for? Or how much did they cost new? Cali legal? Some info on them

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
How much do they go for? Or how much did they cost new? Cali legal? Some info on them
smog legal and i think they went for like 500 bucks, good come up brotha

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Yes.....they're Cali legal.

No.....you cannot buy them new from a vender as they were discontinued about eight years ago. The only 'new' sets are sitting in someone's basement/attic/garage. Keep an eye for them on Ebay and the 'For Sale' page of the Forum.....you might get lucky.

If you can find a new set, expect to pay better than $750. As shown above, $800+ is typical.

KW

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recall the SLP's running $350-400 about 10 years ago when I started putting mods on my car . . . should have bought them then.

Looking at new shorties . . . looks like the BBK and Edelbrock offerings are the closest design made now to the SLP in a shorty header.

Anyone care to weigh in the preference now for a shorty?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just my opinion, the BBKs just don't flow as well as others on the market. Ive had them on my Mustangs and the reason i bought them is cause they were always cheaper.

I'm happy with my Hooker Super Comps. They're the F1 style headers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've a cracked OEM header. 1995 9C1 LT1

Read the extensive Exhaust/headers discussions, and recall some of the offerings pitfalls of install from years ago when I was more actively modding.
Now, not wanting to dump major money into the car, which has about 137k miles on the clock, I was looking for less expensive alternates to the CIA offerings.

The Edlebrock and BBK caught my eye as they looked closest to the old SLP offering.
I see also that CIA has a shorty header in the works. I'll certainly call Dan to find out my options.
Right now the car has the air pumps still on and will shortly be deleted. So I don't expect to need the hookups . . .

Rammit intake and Dynomax Ultra-flow catback going in and out.
Trying to get some good feedback on a shorty for consideration, but I realize the big power seems to lie with a long tube.

I don't want fitment issues, burned aux lines etc. or ground clearance issues.
I realize the shorties are a bitch to get in . . so I figured I'd let some experienced persons weigh in on this.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
......Anyone care to weigh in the preference now for a shorty?
Used SLPs.

Edelbrocks (new or used) = bottom of my list.

Also.....the "Rammit" intake that I'm familiar with has that scoop that draws in air from BELOW the front bumper. If that's what you're looking at, then you have choosen..........poorly :( .

KW

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had the rammit for 11 years- it has worked great. Already has it before the SRM came out . . . .
Rammit was the best choice at the time it appeared . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts