Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
changed water pump in my 95 impala ss and saw i had a leak on my oil cooler lines, replaced the lines and drove to the gas station a saw brown sludge coming from under the car popped the hood and saw brown sludge in the radiator overflow tank. please help and tell me i didn't tank my engine... i need help

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Sounds like the oil cooler inside the radiator has failed,since this issue suddenly developed after working on those lines. Right? This would call for a new radiator. I no longer use either built in cooler to eliminate this risk. Sounds like you caught it right away. So,I don't think the motor's hurt. Drain the oil,and see how much coolant is present. Bet it ain't much. Maybe bypass the oil lines into each other,and flush out the cooling system before replacing the radiator. Perhaps get a professional opinion before proceeding as there are other potential causes for the condition you described. I feel the radiator is most likely in this case

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've seen folks snug up the oil cooler lines and twist the internal copper oil tank feed just enough to tear the copper at the vertical member ... yep. The aluminum nuts oxidize and it's all one piece after a few years. Leaks inside.

Luckily, as 1slow96 notes, you caught it early. There is more pressure in the oil line than the coolant line so hopefully you just got oil in the coolant, not too much the other way around.

Unfortunately, when you shut the car off, there is a bit more pressure in the coolant than oil lines ... a bit of back flow. But I'm with him ... you caught this quick. Flush it all and replace the radiator. Switch to synthetic oil and toss the oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Could be a good time to consider adding a 9c1 external oil cooler.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts