Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I haven't started digging into this problem yet, but I just got done doing a T56 install for someone and I took it for a drive this evening. Everything was going smooth except for the fact that at low speeds, only in forward gears, first two mainly, when the engine is at per say the highest load, it is almost like it is missing or sucking air from some where other than the intake. Could it be a vacuum leak causing this?
So list of the things that were done to the car and some specifications
Motor is stock 90K on it,
Had the PCM programmed by Alex for the T56 install and had him remove Air pump operations, now I didn't remove the tubing or anything like that from the air pump or the air pump itself, I did pull the relay though, the gentleman that I did the installation for lives in Ohio and they have emission nazi's there, could this me a problem, I did remove the relay that controls it though?
Part of the T56 installation, you usually ground the PNP switch (PARK/NEUTRAL) well you splice the wires together so the PCM thinks that it is in PARK all the time, I have been reading through the FSM and it is telling me that if the switch is grounded all the time that it could cause excessive knock retard and the EGR system wouldn't work. I emailed Alex to find out if the constant for the PNP was removed for the T56 installation, and I am waiting on a reply, I am not even sure that this is a constant that can be changed or even if it would be affected if the tables for the T56 are modified correctly.

I am just stumped, any thoughts that you may have will be greatly appreciated, oh forgot to mention No DTC's either. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,569 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the problem was related to the T56 install, I thought I had enough space between the trans and the tunnel and the backside where the hole is cut in the floor. But I was wrong, in trying to get the pinion angle and driveshaft angle to all line up I didn't notice how close it was getting, removed the shim I put in and all was good. Sorry for the jump the gun post, just didn't know what it was at first and I started digging into it further. :) my fault.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
No worries Mike. I have a feeling I'll be going through the same thing once my son and I finally start on the T56 we got for his Monte.

LS- style tranny,

using a Quicktime LT- adapter bellhousing,

into a one pc. rearmain sbc,

that's using a 2-pc. crank and adapter ....

cwm4

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I didn't mention the .125 spacer I got with the TO bearing that may or may not apply, or the crank spacer I picked up supposedly needed to align the flywheel to the starter.

cwm4

cwm4

I will say thanks though to the guy on the forum that I bought the trann & shifter from. There'dabeen quite a bit of cussing on several potential fronts without his insights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts