Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to remove my abs sensor from the pass side spindle and it broke. Is this an ez fix. If I don't replace it what would it do.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
All you will need is the replacement sensor and the screw that holds it in place, which you should have.

Tell you what, it's Christmas--I just checked my inventory of old used sensors, and I found a good right front sensor.

Send me your address and I'll put it in the mail to you today.

PM me with your address or phone number.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
I just went through this.
broke the old sensor trying to remove it. Had to chisel and punch out the remains into the rotor. Junkyard "new" sensor got stuck trying to install. Wouldn't move in or out. Damaged that one trying to remove or install. Just got another junkyard sensor. Installed it in the yard lot. Works fine. Hard part is if it is stuck in the knuckle.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Rob, I suggest you put a nice dollop of the Ceramlub on the body of the front sensors to retard water and iron dust intrusion, which will help retard/block rust formation.
+1

I also found that using the small sanding drum of my Dremel tool kit and doing a quick pass all around the inside of the sensor hole allows the replacement sensor to slide in effortlessly. Just make sure to not make the hole bigger, as the idea is to just remove the rust from the hole.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
I did both of those. Had to buy a new Dremel, old one quit and replacing the brushes didn't revive it. Doing both of the above suggestions made the install in the junk yard parking lot easy. Just had to go lock to lock with the steering wheel a couple of times. Now how long will the junk yard sensor work is the question.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I did both of those. Had to buy a new Dremel, old one quit and replacing the brushes didn't revive it. Doing both of the above suggestions made the install in the junk yard parking lot easy. Just had to go lock to lock with the steering wheel a couple of times. Now how long will the junk yard sensor work is the question.
As long as you do not beat on it, it should last as long as the car.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
If that were the case Fred, I wouldn't have been messing with the sensor in the first place. I wasn't clear that I was replacing the sensor because it failed which had the ABS light on. I read the 95 FSM for removal and installation. I must have broke the first junk yard sensor trying to get it unstuck as I knew you didn't want to install it by hitting it with a hammer. Second junk yard sensor went in the knuckle easy in the parking lot. ABS light is out.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts