Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my wagon from Oregon 2 months ago. It has the Clear-Image Headers with their "Re-located" cats. Passes smog test here in Cali, but not visual. I'm in Nor-Cal near Sacramento. Hopefully someone from a Nor-Cal club can direct me to a GOOD smog shop!! ;)

· Registered
509 Posts
Sorry, you're gonna have to keep looking or swap in the stock exhaust every two years. If you don't have it this time, be prepared to get a "Test Only" Facility advisory the next time a smog check is needed.

· Registered
214 Posts
Sorry, you're gonna have to keep looking or swap in the stock exhaust every two years. If you don't have it this time, be prepared to get a "Test Only" Facility advisory the next time a smog check is needed.
Not usually the case. There's always a "better" way$

· Registered
509 Posts
Yeah, that's why I told him to keep looking! I don't know any in Sac though, so can't tell him where to go. It's going to be hard to just walk in and get though without building a relationship with the shop though. Those fines are huge, and most people aren't willing to risk it.

· Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, that's why I told him to keep looking! I don't know any in Sac though, so can't tell him where to go. It's going to be hard to just walk in and get though without building a relationship with the shop though. Those fines are huge, and most people aren't willing to risk it.
All true. Go find a smog shop in the bay where the workers are of southeast asian descent and speak with an accent. It will pass.

I've seen them run my friend's Trans Am with the sniffer in the exhaust pipe of an eclipse. Needless to say, his car was "eco-friendly".

· Registered
509 Posts
All true. Go find a smog shop in the bay where the workers are of southeast asian descent and speak with an accent. It will pass.

I've seen them run my friend's Trans Am with the sniffer in the exhaust pipe of an eclipse. Needless to say, his car was "eco-friendly".
Yeah, that's not gonna throw a big red flag to the powers that be! Some guy from Sac getting checked in the bay? I know of a shop that got pinched exactly because of this reason.

· Registered
119 Posts
If you were closer i could loan you my stock manifolds and cats off my 96 impala. I have them out just sitting in the garage. I am in the same boat as you. My 383 supercharged motor will have tri y's too. I'm just going to swap them out every two years for the smog nazi's. Pain in the A$$ but every 2 years is doable. My supercharger is carb certified so only the exhaust is an issue. Gotta love this state!! You can't have headers even if your car passes the sniff test but you can get a medical marijuana card just by signing up for it!!! LOL!!

· Registered
437 Posts
Gotta love this state!! You can't have headers even if your car passes the sniff test but you can get a medical marijuana card just by signing up for it!!! LOL!!
I knew there was something funny about you Ron! No wonder you talk like cheech and chong!

· Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, that's not gonna throw a big red flag to the powers that be! Some guy from Sac getting checked in the bay? I know of a shop that got pinched exactly because of this reason.
Hmm... I didn't even know that was an issue but now that you mention it, it makes sense. I'm 100% sure you can find those shops in Sac too though. It's just easy in the bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.