Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 impala I live in Ga what did y’all do about the issues with the smog pump, it has my service engine light on. What y’all do about the issue please help Thanks

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
I have a 96 impala I live in Ga what did y’all do about the issues with the smog pump, it has my service engine light on. What y’all do about the issue please help Thanks

this is an air pump.. the air check valves fail causing exhaust gas to enter the air pump and also into the air box . then the MAF will need cleaning..

so I did go thru this on my 96 IMP.. replaced check valves 2 and pump and cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner..

could be fuse blew 25amp engine fuse box..

many did the air pump delete but you will need to have the PCM programmed and do the delete procedure. .. I did not do this so not up on how to do this delete.. my air pump I replaced , still working all OEM original .. no engine / pcm modifications original owner.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have a 96 impala I live in GA what did y’all do about the issues with the smog pump, it has my service engine light on. What y’all do about the issue please help Thanks
Get pcm reprogrammed to permanently disable the AIRpump per

GM Tech Service Bulletin #01-06-04-011: Water in AIR Pump and/or DTC P0410, P0412, P0415, P0416, P0100, P0101, P0102, or DTC 48 (AIR System Disable Procedure)
GM's final word on the AIRpump, as of 2002; disable it, don't bother fixing it, it's not needed.

You can waste money and have GM ONLY disable the AIRpump, or, for about the same amount of money, disable your AIRpump AND improve your performance by having your pcm upgraded.
I recommend
pcmperformance.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts