Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have flowmaster super 44's on my '94, I was just wondering what the snap crackle and popping noise is when I rev my engine. How do I make it stop? And on another note, what are resonators and what do they do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not precisely sure, so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable chimes in, but I believe the sound you're hearing while the engine returns to idle is unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust system (namely the cats).

I'm not sure what the spark is doing during this period of time, but I believe the PCM goes into fuel cut mode while decelerating, and then, in a kind of random fashion, it fires an injector from each back every so often in order to keep the cats hot and active - like if you were to decelerate down a long hill, your cats might otherwise cool down and lose efficiency.

The resonators are the miniature mufflers located after the big, primarily mufflers in the exhaust stream. On a stock system, you'll find them behind the rear tires just before the tail pipe stops at the back of the car. They're sole purpose is to further quiet the exhaust system.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
get rid of the resonators...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I put Super 40 Flows on my Impala and got the same breakfast cereal sound you mentioned. The factory resonators help quell some of that noise. The resonators are a smaller type of muffler and are located at the end of your exhaust along with the exhaust tip which is welded to it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Another reason why I avoided flowmasters. Never get that with my aerochambers. Flowmasters sound good at idle, but that's about it in my opinion.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No no no...it's not while driving, or even when accelerating on the road...it's only when parked or in neutral and revving the engine. And I looked, i guess I have no resonators...all I have are cats and flowmasters under there. Guess the guy I bought the car from cut'em off a while back.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Get an H or X pipe.

It will eliminate it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duely noted. On that note Hussker, should I do my headers before or after the x pipe? I know I'm not gonna do them at the same time...I'm still in college so....yeah...So which should I do first?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Duely noted. On that note Hussker, should I do my headers before or after the x pipe? I know I'm not gonna do them at the same time...I'm still in college so....yeah...So which should I do first?
Headers!! It will change your exhaust system (sound) completely.

·
Registered
358 Posts
X-pipe! You have more important things to spend money on then the $1200 for good headers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$1200 headers???!!! What headers cost that much? Hell I was about to spend $800 on my CIA's...

·
Registered
358 Posts
$1200 headers???!!! What headers cost that much? Hell I was about to spend $800 on my CIA's...
Gen 1 headers, with hi-flo cats and bolts are $980 (with shipping). Are those coated (doesn't say on web site)? Still need gaskets as well. Gen 2 are just shy of $1200 with cats and shipping.

PS If you are going in on the GP, then Gen 2 are now included in that discount.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn,,,so what am I looking to pay for a good set of CIA's?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Damn,,,so what am I looking to pay for a good set of CIA's?
With the current GP, between 800 and 900 should be about right for gen 1's. Not sure if they are coated or not, check the GP thread. Only thing I think you need to purchase besides the CIA package is gaskets. Heck they may be included too, but it doesn't mention that on the CIA website. Keep in mind though, $200 more gets you gen 2's and they are supposed to be quite a bit better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.