Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Joined
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally within spitting distance of finishing my torqhead install. I started a couple months ago, and then the whole thing blew up in my face. Basically it snowballed into, "well as long as I'm already taking this apart, I may as well upgrade ________." Fortunately, I already had most of the extra parts on hand because I've been stockpiling them since I got the car.

Along with my torqhead kit, I upgraded the timing chain set to a Cloyes racing single roller set. Upgraded the oil pump to a Melling higher volume/higher pressure unit with Melling pickup and driveshaft. Upgraded the harmonic balancer to an ATI Super Damper. Installed a factory external oil cooler. Upgraded to a Meziere HD electric water pump and deleted the water pump driveshaft and plugged the timing cover with the infamous, "jb weld a half dollar into it".

Did the Gary's Innovative HD battery cable upgrade, water pump wiring kit and headlight wiring upgrade/kit. Replaced/upgraded the motor mounts with brand new clamshells and Energy Suspension inserts. Probably will upgrade the transmission mount with an Energy Suspension one, (I have it on hand, just haven't put it in yet, but it should be easy with the car up on stands right now).

And a bunch of other little things as I ran into them. All I have left at this point is a little bit of wiring, (get the water pump kit integrated into the distribution box under the hood, and connect up the headlight kit), put oil in it, install the plug wires and fuel rail covers, put in a new set of seals and gasket in the oil cooler lines, reconnect the exhaust and then hopefully vroom, vroom. :grin2:
 

Attachments

Registered
Joined
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also recently discovered another piece of info sort of related to this that others may find helpful. When I was dealing with PEX clamps during my fuel pump upgrade, I was under the impression that they're only available in a handful of sizes, mainly 1/2", 3/4" and 1". That's what you'll normally find in your local hardware stores where the PEX stuff is located. What I've found is that they're actually called oetiker clamps, and come in a wide array of sizes, should you ever want to use them in place of standard worm gear clamps, or whatever. I may order some now that I know what they are, because I recently made a brake booster hose to mimic the vette one so I could install fuel rail covers, but with the same diameter hose that's stock on the b-bodies, so that I wouldn't have to replace fittings in the intake manifold or brake booster to fit the smaller diameter vette hose. Essentially I took the napa hose (actually the gates version) that most people cut down to fit, cut out a section of it, and made the missing bend with a brass, PEX 90掳 adapter. Only problem was I had to use worm gear clamps, but since it never has to come apart, I think the oetiker clamps will provide a much cleaner look.
 

Registered
Joined
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although the weather has been fairly decent the last few days, I haven't had much free time. Have managed a few things though. Got the fuel rail covers put on, and the plug wires installed (though some still need to be routed around the headers and connected), got the new seals put in the oil cooler lines, and finally swapped the transmission mount. I had to modify the crossmember a little, but a die grinder made quick work of it.

The Mike Harris tubular crossmember doesn't directly fit the Fleetwood (due to them being longer) so when I had my transmission rebuilt, I had them weld a longer piece of steel to it and install it. They did a fine job, but didn't get the hole in exactly the right spot. The factory style mount they put in worked-ish as it was so they left it alone, but the Energy Suspension mount I wanted to put in wouldn't line up with the hole they drilled. Like I said, die grinder and just oblonged the hole until it lined up, and a larger grade 8 washer completely covered the hole so it should work fine.

Alternately I suppose I could have the extra piece of steel knocked off, and another one welded on and put in two holes since the mount works with either a single bolt in the middle, or two bolts off to the side, but I don't know if there's anything to be gained by having it bolted to the crossmember with two bolts. Either way I'm nearing the finish line, I just hope I don't have any more interruptions, and that the weather holds out a little longer.
 

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top