Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...when the latch button is all sloppy and does not latch...the plastic "spring" arms on the latch broke. IIRC the replacement latch is not available anymore....without a small bank loan

So review the pics and you will see two 1" x 1/4" (approx.) pieces of halved vacuum hose placed in the slots the plastic spring clip part occupied will make a new "spring" that will not break. Re-assemble hatch lid and install on console. There is minimal "movement" of the latch but enough and the rubber vac hose works well. Thinner wall vac hose may make it even springer

Attachments

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
several years ago I did this mod to my original arm rest. I recently installed a new one I had in my parts shelf for around 17 years since I refreshed my front seats the original was looking tired so I installed the new lid

In a month or so the new lid latch plastic tabs broke so I took it apart and did the same mod as my original one which are the pics I used in this thread

I think surgical rubber hose (like you would use for a sling shot) may be more "springy"...but this vacuum hose thing works OK

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Mine just broke and I knew I seen a post about making it work again. Thanks for the idea. Going to have to do this tomorrow. I just got finished repainting all of my dash plastic and also my center console lid and that's when it broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts