Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I'm going to be investing in some tools,and I'm wondering what range of socket sizes will I be needing to be able to do pretty much what ever I need to on a 94 caprice 9c1
(suspension, wheels, brakes, under the hood work etc)

All I'll be needing is metric sizes right?

Will I need any sockets larger than 19mm?

Will I need any shallow sockets that are shorter than 1 inch?

Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
You will need metric and SAE sockets. Everything screwed into the block and heads is SAE thread. Transmission is metric threads. Rear axle is SAE, brakes are combination of metric and SAE.
Body bolts are metric. Suspension bolts are metric.
Metric sockets 5mm to 22mm in various drives 1/4, 3/8, 1/2.
SAE sockets 1/4'" - 1 1/8" in various drives.
shallow and deep sockets will come in handy

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Sets of quality combo-wrenches come in handy more often than on may think. As do "ratchet" wrenches.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Maybe I've posted this before? This humble 1970s KMart socket set is in the most convenient drawer in my most convenient tool cabinet. A little set like this, you'll use on every project for more than 40 years :)
socket sets.jpg

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Sets of quality combo-wrenches come in handy more often than on may think. As do "ratchet" wrenches.
With a major box cleaning / tool organizing effort last year I ditched sets of '80's gen clunky plastic body SAE and metric ratchet boxends that I NEVER used. Mostly because they were such large bodies and about 30 degrees/click. A month ago I had to buy a new set of 6 open / ratchet box (fing $70) just to to get the one to go over the end of my customized sparkplug socket for #6 on the son's 383. A click every couple dgrees did the trick though. And they're so much more compact nowadays.

MWP, I'm still using my 1st ever 1/2 drive Craftsman regular sockets - parent's Christmas present '71. ;) I replaced quite a few cracked/worn ones over the decades all free until all the Sears closed. Now I treated myself to a set of NAPA 3/8 drive I use more and more nowadays.

Reactions: MWP

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
147 Posts
This humble 1970s KMart socket set is in the most convenient drawer in my most convenient tool cabinet. A little set like this, you'll use on every project for more than 40 years :)
Now you just need to borrow Dr. Browns time machine to get you a set of those.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As for sockets larger than 19mm or 3/4", I think you'll only need those if working on axle or wheel hubs (i.e. spindle nut is 1-1/16"). Like others said, best to have a variety of SAE and Metric, both deep and shallow. Plan on getting deep SAE 12-pointers if you're going to be taking exhaust manifolds off or doing anything internal to the engine.

Flare nut wrenches/crow's feet will be needed including larger sizes (7/8" etc.) for ATF cooler, oil cooler, A/C connections, and O2 sensors.

Reactions: HEAD_HONCHO

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will need metric and SAE sockets. Everything screwed into the block and heads is SAE thread. Transmission is metric threads. Rear axle is SAE, brakes are combination of metric and SAE.
Body bolts are metric. Suspension bolts are metric.
Metric sockets 5mm to 22mm in various drives 1/4, 3/8, 1/2.
SAE sockets 1/4'" - 1 1/8" in various drives.
shallow and deep sockets will come in handy
Holy moly Im glad i asked.....good to know

So for any sockets above 19mm and 3/4 SAE you should be using a 1/2 drive?

I think what Im going to buy is:

and

Along with the milwaukee 3/8 stubby m12

You think that would cover all my 3/8 bases?

I want buy tools that will make the work on the car as easy and simple as possible

I don't mind spending a little money, but i definitely want to avoid buying tools i wont need

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Harbor Freight 'big black box' will have about every socket you will need. The ratchets and sockets are decent, but the wrenches suck. I use mine for the trips to Pull-A-Part and to take on road trips in case I need tools. Get it when it goes on sale- Mechanic's Tool Set 301 Pc.
bLowe's has a Craftsman set for the same price, but I don't know if it has the same selection of sockets- https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-CRFT-308-PC-Mixed-Tool-Set/5001889401
Yeah I was looking at sets like that before

But then since im gonna buy an impact wrench i just figured ill use that and impact sockets instead

Should I still buy an "all in one" set like that harbor freight one regardless?

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for sockets larger than 19mm or 3/4", I think you'll only need those if working on axle or wheel hubs (i.e. spindle nut is 1-1/16"). Like others said, best to have a variety of SAE and Metric, both deep and shallow. Plan on getting deep SAE 12-pointers if you're going to be taking exhaust manifolds off or doing anything internal to the engine.

Flare nut wrenches/crow's feet will be needed including larger sizes (7/8" etc.) for ATF cooler, oil cooler, A/C connections, and O2 sensors.
Ok, yeah I want the tools to be able to do pretty much anything on the car i need to myself
(aside from internal engine, and internal transmission work)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
IMHO you can't have enough tools. 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" socket sets as well as metric. short & long sockets. SAE & Metric box/open end & off set wrenches, alan wrench sets both SAE & Metric. 3/8 & 1/2" breaker bar, torque wrench, swivel ratchet box & open end SAE & Metric. 1/4"/ 3/8 & 1/2" swivels & various lengths of extensions

speed wrench...aka hammer, soft blow mallet

and you will still be ordering various larger socket sizes for the once only use on something (pinon nut)

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMHO you can't have enough tools. 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" socket sets as well as metric. short & long sockets. SAE & Metric box/open end & off set wrenches, alan wrench sets both SAE & Metric. 3/8 & 1/2" breaker bar, torque wrench, swivel ratchet box & open end SAE & Metric. 1/4"/ 3/8 & 1/2" swivels & various lengths of extensions

speed wrench...aka hammer, soft blow mallet

and you will still be ordering various larger socket sizes for the once only use on something (pinon nut)
I've got two fairly well stocked roll-around tool boxes, and still use the harbor freight box because it is convenient to have nearly everything in one spot.
I just ordered this:

Also ordered a breaker bar in 1/2 inch, and torque wrench (up to 150lbs is that enough for our cars?) that's both 1/2 AND 3/8, some head lamps, a hack saw, a magnetic pick up tool, a grease gun, 3 tubes of red grease, an oil drain pan, an oil filter wrench, a 3 ton floor jack, and a pair of 3 ton jack stands, and a 100 pack of 8 inch black zip ties

Already got a couple pairs of pliers, a few screwdrivers, a variety of basic wrenches (like 15 different sizes), eye protection, one pair of anti chemical auto mechanic gloves,one pair of heavy rubber gloves for gripping, a 3 in 1 putty knife, one regular hammer, one small rubber mallet, a bunch of allen wrenches, and a bunch of misc cleaning and scrubbing products, brushes, and rags

Should i get a 2nd pair of 3 ton jack stands and always put the car on 4 anytime im gonna be doing anything significant under the car?

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
147 Posts
I would get a couple of pry bars, I have a 2ft and 3ft long one. I don't use them often but they work better than a long screwdriver, and your less likely to break the tip off.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Should i get a 2nd pair of 3 ton jack stands and always put the car on 4 anytime im gonna be doing anything significant under the car?
Yes. Brake job, tire rotation...etc require all 4 wheels off the ground. Wheel chalk or a piece of wood behind whatever tire is on the ground if just raising front or back only

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes. Brake job, tire rotation...etc require all 4 wheels off the ground. Wheel chalk or a piece of wood behind whatever tire is on the ground if just raising front or back only
Ok, so if im going to have 4 jack stands what situation(s) would it be ok to just have the car on 2 jack stands?

Basically just if Im too lazy to put the car on all 4 stands?

Or are there actually some situations that it would be better/safer to have it on just 2?

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would get a couple of pry bars, I have a 2ft and 3ft long one. I don't use them often but they work better than a long screwdriver, and your less likely to break the tip off.
Oddly there seems to be a lot of pry bars sets but none that seem to have ones that are just right

Maybe I should just get ONE bad ass one that's like 3-4ft?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts