Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I've rarely need all 4 jack stands. But do have 4 of them in 3 ton and sometimes more useful, i have 4 in 6 ton to get better height. Actually more than that even. But most of the time it's driving up onto the ramps and if i really need more room, i'll jack up the other end and put 2 stands there.
Buying tools is going to be a lifetime hobby. I too started with an identical ratchet set like MWP back in early 70's. Wasn't kmart though. Think it was Great Eastern we had here at the time.

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've rarely need all 4 jack stands. But do have 4 of them in 3 ton and sometimes more useful, i have 4 in 6 ton to get better height. Actually more than that even. But most of the time it's driving up onto the ramps and if i really need more room, i'll jack up the other end and put 2 stands there.
Buying tools is going to be a lifetime hobby. I too started with an identical ratchet set like MWP back in early 70's. Wasn't kmart though. Think it was Great Eastern we had here at the time.
Yeah im intentionally avoiding ramps tbh.....especially the plastic ones

So you do brakes, and tire rotations etc on just two stands no problem?

I mean i don't mind buying another 2 stands, but Im more concerned with i don't want any more items that i don't actually need taking up space

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Ok, so if im going to have 4 jack stands what situation(s) would it be ok to just have the car on 2 jack stands?

Basically just if Im too lazy to put the car on all 4 stands?

Or are there actually some situations that it would be better/safer to have it on just 2?
If you just want to look/work on the front or back than 2 stands are fine. However you will need 4 for several other repairs. Frankly you should have 6 with 2 either shorter or higher than the 4 matching ones. Rhino Ramps are very useful to just get one end of car up easily

If using ramps then jacking up rear to put on jack stands....put a tire chalk behind front tire as otherwise once you lift the rear tires off ground the car can roll back/off the ramps and....well its not good.

Getting the car level for an oil change allows ALL the oil to drain as otherwise with just front raised there will still be some left in the pan due to the center/side location of oil drain plug

also having a 4"x6"x8" long block of wood wrapped in indoor/outdoor carpet is handy if you need to get car up higher than the regular reach of the floor jack...or support engine under pan when pulling trans, etc.

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you just want to look/work on the front or back than 2 stands are fine. However you will need 4 for several other repairs. Frankly you should have 6 with 2 either shorter or higher than the 4 matching ones. Rhino Ramps are very useful to just get one end of car up easily

If using ramps then jacking up rear to put on jack stands....put a tire chalk behind front tire as otherwise once you lift the rear tires off ground the car can roll back/off the ramps and....well its not good.

Getting the car level for an oil change allows ALL the oil to drain as otherwise with just front raised there will still be some left in the pan due to the center/side location of oil drain plug

also having a 4"x6"x8" long block of wood wrapped in indoor/outdoor carpet is handy if you need to get car up higher than the regular reach of the floor jack...or support engine under pan when pulling trans, etc.
Ahhh ok now we getting somewheres
Getting as much oil drained as possible is all i need to hear

I'm definitely getting two more stands now

Thanks

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yeah im intentionally avoiding ramps tbh.....especially the plastic ones

So you do brakes, and tire rotations etc on just two stands no problem?

I mean i don't mind buying another 2 stands, but Im more concerned with i don't want any more items that i don't actually need taking up space
The rhino's mentioned are very strong. That's what I use here. At mom's I still have my 40 year old steel. Only thing lacking in them is the height. They only lift 6ish inches. The steels are either 8 or 9 inches.

Brakes, just floor jack and do one at time or i'll just lift one end. Not saying you should, but almost most times i'm just on the floor jack. Actually got the small harborfreight aluminum jack for each house so I don't have to drag out the bigger heavy steel ones just in the last year. IF i'm under the car for more than a quickie, i'll add jack stands or use the ramps.

Tires, i have dedicated snows so any rotation i do happens then and zero need for jack stands either.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Oh and as far as oil changes, as i recall, the drain plugs are near the back of the pans on everything I have. That's just ramps, (or floor jack). Doubt an extra ounce would come out if it was leveled. Have never lifted the back for oil change LOL

·
Registered
409 Posts
Should i get a 2nd pair of 3 ton jack stands and always put the car on 4 anytime im gonna be doing anything significant under the car?
I rest the car on one set of jackstands, then slide another pair along the frame near the first set, especially if I'm going to be under the car. Most stands are the tooth type with that locking cam thing. I had a brand new set start collapsing the first time I tried to use them due to crappy metal somewhere in that area. Something else to check--the welds on any set you buy. A little bit of paranoia (healthy caution) doesn't hurt. :)

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Oh and as far as oil changes, as i recall, the drain plugs are near the back of the pans on everything I have. That's just ramps, (or floor jack). Doubt an extra ounce would come out if it was leveled. Have never lifted the back for oil change LOL
Ok just got back from my latest tool run

I got:
Another pair of 3 ton jack stands
25 inch 1/2 breaker bar
3ft long prybar

I definitely like the idea of having the car sit level on all four jack stands, it just sounds more satisfying to have it sitting perfectly even
So whether its actually better or not Im just going to tell myself it is

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I rest the car on one set of jackstands, then slide another pair along the frame near the first set, especially if I'm going to be under the car. Most stands are the tooth type with that locking cam thing. I had a brand new set start collapsing the first time I tried to use them due to crappy metal somewhere in that area. Something else to check--the welds on any set you buy. A little bit of paranoia (healthy caution) doesn't hurt. :)
Definitely....im going to inspect them as well as i can before using them

I cant afford to have my body crushed under a car right now

21 - 30 of 30 Posts