Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my RCA cables wasn't long enough to reach my amp. I cut it and extended it using another RCA cable. I wasn't sure if this would work or not, but whether I tried it or not, I'd still have to buy a new RCA cable if it didn't work. I can't test it out because my head unit is dead and getting replaced, plus the electrical problem in the car.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it will "work"... but i dont recommend it.

you will create resistance, and you are opening up your system to interference.

but yea, if you just want some RCA cabels to work, then its been done a million times, no big deal. afterall, its only wires.

but i'd at least make 100% sure that none of the little strands of wire are touching at all. (its a low impedance signal, so it wont fry anything if they do touch, but you will get a lot of noise.)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be better to ust purchase another smaller length RCA jack to make it cleaner and less chances of interference

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
too late for that, he already cut it! lol.

just rip em out, and buy a 20 footer. that will leave plenty of room to have lots of slack at the dash, and more than enough in the trunk too.

or use the cut up ones. either way. lol

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed inside RCA wires there is like one little plastic-coated wire running down the middle of each one. It was too small to strip it and splice it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that wire inside the plastic is the positive wire. The RCA will not work at all without it.

The outside wire, is only the ground, and the sheilding.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay... I just twisted it and soldered it with the rest of the wires... so I take it this cable will not work now? Nice. I knew there had to be a reason why it was seperate from the rest of the wires.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahahaahaa

no. no way in hell will it work at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts