Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Looking for a set of solid motor mounts. My car is set up mainly strip and not street. Not interested in the oem replacement nor the poly mounts. Have done a lot of research and have come up with many ideas but no specific answer. I called moroso and spoke with a tech guy. He informed me the part numbers I gave him work well a set but doesn't know if the motor will sit too high or too low. Moroso 62515 & 62630. Plus i am looking for a good transmission mount. Solid or poly. Im guessing poly but give me some ideas. Anyone who has experience in this or has any info please chime in. Im all ears. Engine is out of car and would like to get all this done before the engine goes back in. Thx again

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If you use solid motor mounts, then do not run a solid trans mount.

I used the Moroso solid engine mounts. They got twisted pretty bad by the BBC. I think the stock mounts are better than the Moroso's. I'm changing to a motor plate setup.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Just as Glenn said, don't run a solid trans mount if you do run solid engine mounts. Bellhousing on trans wont like it at all. Another alternative is a chain bolted from the drivers head down to the frame. That would allow the motor to be isolated properly and provide the taming of the torque to the chassis your after. I've done that on several smaller cars like mustangs and f bodies. On the F body, i started to eat transmission mouints after this since more torque was being sent to the axle, it would transmit back up the torque arm. Tailshaft would hit the floor hard enough to open the center console door. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Kept tools and a spare mount after that. Switched to a divorced torque arm after. I know it does make a difference. I haven't needed it yet on a b body, but i'd bet its worth a little on the 60'

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the info guys. Yeah I agree about the trans mount not being solid. Just wanted to double check. Ive heard of the chain idea and am contemplating it. Just wanted to see what people were running for their motor mounts and if anyone has experience with the solid mounts and if so what size. Thx for all the info so far guys really appreciate it. Keep it coming

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You will not like solid mounts if this is a street car. If you're worried about tearing up the driver side mount from a lot of torque then do what a lot of people have done and use a solid mount ONLY on the drivers side and this will allow there to still be cushion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I've heard of some people doing that with only one solid motor mount or using a chain. But im looking for which solid mount to buy. Like I said moroso told me they dont have any specific part numbers for our cars. He recommended I talk to people who have used them and find out which parts they used so moroso can sell me the right ones. And no not a street car. Mainly track

·
Registered
886 Posts
Its just a clam shell so it's not an issue finding them to fit our cars. I have used one solid on the torque side for years and it stops the engine from hitting the hood under WOT while it's still streetable and doesn't shake you.

My two cents is not to run two solids but only one. it cushions the engine/tranny but two solids sends all those vibrations everywhere. Don't forget, you're distorting the cylinders with solids. Which is why race cars use motor plates.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
............. Don't forget, you're distorting the cylinders with solids. Which is why race cars use motor plates.
Awesome info. Good info Jeff. What's your take on blower brackets mounted to the front of the motor/head? I think they twist the block too. Seems like they would.

Karl

·
Registered
886 Posts
Awesome info. Good info Jeff. What's your take on blower brackets mounted to the front of the motor/head? I think they twist the block too. Seems like they would.

Karl
You know it does!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.