Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
Why does my mind keep going to the Myth-busters "earwax episode"?

Was it all over the sock before you tore it open too ?

I would definitely be dissecting the frame rail filter and inspecting the screens on top of the injectors.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lol

What you see is what's left of the sock. Exactly how it can out of the tank just moments before.

I want to say it was a sock similar to this...

I'm looking at replacement filters that come with the kits now and I know for a fact it wasn't the gauze like material offered by Walbro today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Instead of having too many separate problems in one thread, I figure I'd start another.

Initial start-up with 32psi at idle and 42 psi of pressure with the vacuum hose off of the regulator. After driving for approximately 10 minutes/6 miles, I gradually lose all but a couple psi of fuel pressure.

From watching the gauge, anytime I attempt to give it throttle, I can see the pressure drop from 32 to 2 or 3 psi. If I coast for a while, it will slowly recover to ~30 psi. However, once the test drive was over it stayed at 10psi and would not recover.

I'm pulling 20.3-20.5 in/hg of vacuum while coasting.

My fuel system consists of a Walbro 255 and Racetronix harness that have 30k miles and bare metal grounds. A new wix/Napa gold fuel filter, new regulator and low mileage injectors.

I have inspected all of the wires going into the relay next to the tank and they appear to be just fine. I went around the intake and vacuum lines with a propane torch which didnt lead to any leaks.

Again, thanks in advance.
I once worked for the millwright union, and for a time was sent to work at a refinery that processed fuel. I remember several times of them having components rupture in the various process vessels that would release bits and pieces of trash into the refined fuel. Some of the contaminated fuel was sent straight to the tankers, and on to the service stations. That is one reason I don't ever refuel when a tanker is putting in fuel at a gas station, because it causes the trash that settles to the bottom to be stirred up and sucked through the tank pump and straight into your gas tank. Filters don't catch everything, especially if the contaminants are liquid and react to air or fuel additives after reaching the fuel tank. I have found trash in a clean fuel can after filling it, so I know some of the refinery contamination gets through the gas station filters. Something to be aware of.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I once worked for the millwright union, and for a time was sent to work at a refinery that processed fuel. I remember several times of them having components rupture in the various process vessels that would release bits and pieces of trash into the refined fuel. Some of the contaminated fuel was sent straight to the tankers, and on to the service stations. That is one reason I don't ever refuel when a tanker is putting in fuel at a gas station, because it causes the trash that settles to the bottom to be stirred up and sucked through the tank pump and straight into your gas tank. Filters don't catch everything, especially if the contaminants are liquid and react to air or fuel additives after reaching the fuel tank. I have found trash in a clean fuel can after filling it, so I know some of the refinery contamination gets through the gas station filters. Something to be aware of.
Thank you for the insight.

Having just purchased my replacement Racetronix pump, I should have the car back on the road in a couple days.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Supply the red wire with 12v from the battery.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I installed a FPA-004 from Racetronix this even and went for a spin. All pressures are within spec and it drives great.

As for the install...

I would suggest a step bit to open up the piece for the plastic tube to slide through. Mine was previously done with a file, but being such a soft plastic I was able work the step bit by hand to make it look "less rushed".

To clean the tank, I filled it with water and agitating it by rocking it back and forth, the dumping it out. I did this process two times before it lost it's gas smell. To get the last of the water out, I tipped it to the side closest to the sending unit and used a clean t-shirt to soak up the water. This worked wonderfully.

Being I had a GSS340M pump and an older Racetronix harness without the upgraded bulkhead harness, I had to repin the old bulkhead connector to the new pump harness. Racetronix sells their pumps with the upgraded bulkhead connector that wont work with the older style.

Funny thing is when I called Racetronix and spoke with sales about my options, they never mentioned repining the old harness. They always lead me in the direction of a a completely new harness that included the upgraded bulkhead harness. I can see their point that it may cause problems in the future and their business is fuel system reliability, but I have 30k miles on my setup and I have no signs of it being a problem.

Outside of that, they were a pleasure to deal with. One hour from order to being shipped. $17 overnight from Canada was more than reasonable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts