Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the kiddos for a ride in the SS a few weeks ago, all of 2 or 3 miles. When I parked I noticed smoke coming from under the hood (pas side, by firewall). It was very clearly my bat post, it had melted through the cap and a tiny bit of the base.

I ordered, and just now installed a GM made brass post. Before this, I had all electrical. But now I have no horn or lights (brake lights work, tail do not) and an ABS light. Car does start, and doesnt throw a code.

Im electronically disabled, so any insite would be appreciated. The fuses arent melted, either. I pulled the 60 and 40a fuses only. Did check the small fuses in the cab and all check out.

EDIT - The problem has been fixed. I missed a wire that slips over bolt 6 in this diagram
Font Line Parallel Engineering Rectangle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking the wire that slips over the horizontal bolt? Part no6 in this diagram.

I only remember there being 1, and I placed it over the bolt, before threading it into the terminal. Perhaps I missed one 馃
Font Line Parallel Engineering Rectangle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No that is the one that goes to the battery.

The factory service circuit diagram shows them as being a smaller version but does not show where they connect to the fuse block.

I am View attachment 207207 they might be the ones I have marked in yellow.
Thanks for the reply, and help brother.

Ill be honest, I do not know what im looking at in that picture. It doesnt look like the fuse box ive been playing in and put that post on

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are two fuseable links. One powers the headlights and horn and the other the ABS module.

From memory they should be attached to the brass post. Did you forget to bolt them on?

Worst case you attached them but for some reason both blew. If they did the wire cover should look melted for the first couple of inches.

This was the problem. I pulled a stupid and missed a wire (fuseable link)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts