Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RTV slathered EVERYWHERE on oil pan gasket AND the timing cover.
Big ole RTV boogers falling off as I clean.
I have no idea why this would leak so badly:confused: insert sarcasm for those that missed it

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
if the leak is from pan...than you will need to drop it and replace pan gasket...and not go so heavy on the RTV as whoever else did

But...confirm the oil leak is not from the oil filter adapter (not uncommon). There is a gasket between it and block

Looks like that pan has been off for whatever reason. "sometimes" the small metal sleeve in the rear hole of the oil pan gasket stays on that rear stud when replacing the pan gasket and gets overlooked. When new gasket is put in that sleeve is now a spacer...and will 100% leak as a result

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look @ pic gasket is torn and stucking out 1/2”
there is a shiny spot on flexplate from it rubbing lol

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
look @ pic gasket is torn and stucking out 1/2”
there is a shiny spot on flexplate from it rubbing lol
the pan gasket is all messed up.. not looking like my 96 IMP.. your gonna have to replace it . also when you do the engine and pan must be cleaned no oil on the surface ..

any oil the gasket sealer will not stick and the slide out..

the other item is the PVC is not working and you have too much crankcase vapors .. pressure in the crankcase causes this also ..

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A PCV will not tear a gasket and spit it out .5” lol

Like I mentioned in 1st post, total hack job slathered in RTV EVERYWHERE.

Just thought it was humorous that a PO paid some hack for that quality work LOL.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that "oops" in your first pic. How in the world did they screw up a one piece oil pan gasket? All the RTV that is needed is just at the 4 corners where I just used a little dab of RTV there and it's dry as a bone.

I guess you know what's in store for you to replace the gasket with the engine in the car? The basics are, you need to lift the engine about 4" for the pan to clear the rail. :frown2: There are other things to be aware of but threads here talk about details.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
A PCV will not tear a gasket and spit it out .5” lol

Like I mentioned in 1st post, total hack job slathered in RTV EVERYWHERE.

Just thought it was humorous that a PO paid some hack for that quality work LOL.
my comment on this PCV crank case vapors is why engines leak oil at the gaskets .. so make sure the venting is proper.. the test is very simple engine on oil fill cap off check that a piece of paper will hold over the oil fill bore .. if it blows off the now you know ..

could very well be an unskilled worker low wage floor sweeper did this ...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm guessing that as well. It's insane the amount they used!
Check out the front...that crap on the timing cover isn't oil/dirt it's freakin' RTV.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Goodness gracious, WTH were they thinking. This is what it should look like and this was before I dropped the Pan to replace the timing cover with a chunk missing. The new Gasket on there is Gray like yours...think it was a Fel-pro gasket I installed.

Certainly take that Pan off the car and inspect the OP pickup as was mentioned.

EDIT - The last 2 pics are what you have to look forward to to get the Pan off the motor. This was how I lifted the engine so the pan would clear :>(

Attachments

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the pan to me looks new . but since cali vehicle that may explain the pan condition as it looks up on the front of engine.

when you drop pan It is possible the pick up screen has a load of rtv crap.. check it out .

if the pan looks like its whacked up get a new pan..

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
on the pan drop, check the threads for the steps to do this but the 2 gotcha's to be aware of.....

1) position engine to #1 or #6 TDC

2) You must remove the Oil Level sensor in the side of the pan. The internal clip is tricky but a small flat blade driver inside to lift up on the clip.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pan is old, probably OEM...a new pan was already ordered due to small dent(s) on sump, should be here tomorrow?

@ least the rear main seal is dry.
I was concerned since with dust shield on, it sure seemed like it "could" have been a rear main.
Once the oil filter adapter came off though, pretty obvious it was leaking @ the torn/damaged pan gasket.
Could actually see it creeping out & down...LMAO

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are we really going to go through this again??? :)
Hopefully not, but so be it if folks post stuff.
I only posted because of the hack job...
NEVER seen this much RTV on an oil pan before!
And I’ve owned a lot of different cars.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was referring to the recommendation of positioning the engine at #1 TDC.

That will not gain you the most clearance
Ahhh, gotcha. I’m not worried about swapping pan. Been there/done that, pita due crawling around under there, but pretty easy job.

If ya look @ 1st pic on rear hump(pan meets rear main housing).
That’s not oil/crud...that’s RTV oozing out.
It appears they laid down a continuous 1/4” bead on there.
Peeled ~same off pan rails where meets block.

Pretty sure it’s gonna be a horror show in pan.
I also picked up a new pump & screen.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Are we really going to go through this again??? :)

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/12019402-post6.html
Just seeing if you were paying attention. >:)

Seriously, I forgot as this was just from a rusty memory. The point is the crank has to be positioned in a way that the journals are clear. Had I looked it up I would have found the correct info. Sorry for the confusion....not like I haven't done this a few times ( unfortunately), just mis-spoke.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JEEZ! Oh my goodness...

So the corner that was leaking the most, no spacer, and torn/ripped.

Where is was leaking @ middle of pan, missing spacers, and torn between 3 bolt holes.

Was leaking around dipstick opening in block, gasket torn. Probably too lazy to pull tube?

The gasket coated on both sides with a crapload of RTV.

Seriously? Why? Going through all that work KNOWING it's gonna leak like hell...some folks ya gotta wonder WTF?
Looking through the service records I didn't see this repair listed. So may have been a PO and not a shop/mechanic?

Luckily the RTV peeled right off the block/timing/cover/rear main housing/oil pan.
Clean up was easy peasy. New oil pan I bought is damaged though, so have to wait on resolution of that or I might just re-use the old pan. There was zero sludge in bottom, and the pickup screen is clear. So not going to bother with that or the pump.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts