Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THere's a '96 Caprice fer sale on ebay with an LT1 and towing package, it's even the DCM flavor. It also has the G80 according to the SPID. The big question is, do the civilian Caprice LT1's have rear drum brakes or disc?

LINKY

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They have drums but before you consider that a negative consider the disc cars got drum proportioning valves so in normal driving the discs actually do LESS.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I have anything agains drums so much, but can I bold SS wheels on? I wanna make it a clone becuase I'm so impresed by the real thing, but this is mostly a dream for now, I'm really gathering facts. So if anyone has a burning hair to get a Caprice, there's a nice one via the link..........

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking car, considering it's from Philly.... looks like they'll get a good price for it too. SS wheels bolt right up.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does look pretty nice. So hey- what's all included with the tow package?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same car, but tan leather...its a nice car...bought mine for 2500.

tow package on mine came with the tow springs...they are the harder springs i believe...lt1 and then diff options I think...Mine has the 140 amp alt and g80 and the leather. its great...you should get one with no hesitation

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a B4U car that had drums and I did the swap to disks. I got lucky and had a rear axle from a 96 Imp that bolted right up. Wasn't all that difficult to do.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impala wheels fit drums just fine I would just recommend painting the drums. I painted mine with high temp "aluminum" color paint and get lots of comments on how people are suprized it has discs

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 96DCMIMPALASS:
THere's a '96 Caprice fer sale on ebay with an LT1 and towing package, it's even the DCM flavor. It also has the G80 according to the SPID. The big question is, do the civilian Caprice LT1's have rear drum brakes or disc?

LINKY
The add states 4 wheel discs. If you think it might be a misprint, then contact the seller and find out.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, mr k gee - if funds allowed at this time I'd get it for sure. But I'm gonna hafta let this cup pass from me right now...........

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a caprice could ahve 4 discks.
On of my friend has a b4u with them..not swapped they are oem installed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Mr. L AKA What snow again?:
a caprice could ahve 4 discks.
On of my friend has a b4u with them..not swapped they are oem installed.
not saying you are a liar...but ive always heard and come across B4Us with rear drum only

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe I was mega drunk but I'm pretty sure ...
guess I'll have to tchek

but for THIS one
JM4 : BRAKE, SYSTEM, PWR, FRT DISC, RR DRUM, CAST IRON,
JA2: BRAKE, HEAVY WEIGHT DISC DRUM

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From all this I gather that a B4U is essentally stiffer springs. Possibly 9C6 springs......
BTW, whats all the other stuff; like FE3, FE9, M30, V92(sounds like an analog modem protocol), U75 and stuff?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the exception of my car being a 95, The 96 Caprice in that auction is Identical to my 95 when I bought it ($3200.00 and OBD1 VS OBD2) BTW, Mine came with a drum rear until I swapped it out with a SS rear with disks.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you should make a search for rpo spid decode and youll find plenty of infos.
I'm trying to grab my buddy to verify that they were on ( the rear discks)as a new and not swapped afterwards...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts