Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe not all related, maybe it is.

The first drive after a pcm flash there was an oder in the car like wire insulation getting hot.

Jump forward a month.

Raining heavy today. I am running headlights, defrost, wipers, and radio. Odor of hot wire insulation is back. Driving along and go to turn a corner car dies. After wrestling the steering to miss a school bus sitting at the corner I get it stopped and restart. It goes maybe 30 ft and dies again so I wrestle it into a parking lot. Restart and sit there for a few minutes. Seems fine so I drive on into work 6 or 7 blocks no problems.

Might not be the correct forum to ask for help and is kind of long.

Anybody experience similar?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what kind off car and year ? was it ok b-4 you had your pcm flashed? if your at work dis-connect battery tell your done at work . then check and see if there are any wires from your pcm that are touchin metal sum where ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although it could be many things you might want to look at the Aux post.

Apparently a chronic issue with early cars.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the winner is: for the something smells hot issue anyhow

"Although it could be many things you might want to look at the Aux post."

Would this cause the car to quit also?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes yes yes!!!!!! Check it out I had a problem with my 94. Check out what them fuses go to and you will see why it will make it cut out and die. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it temp fixed. Not burnt as bad as the picture shown for sure. Plan to remove nut and clean everything with scotchbrite pad. Anything else I can to do help this part live? Are they available from DAL?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get at dealer. Yours (like mine) is some cheap a$$ pop metal. New one is brass. I would fix it ASAP, serious problem. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your vehicle could catch on FIRE, if you still have the Zinc[silver color] Auxiliary Battery Post(ABP).
There was a TSB issued many years ago, on replacing FAULTY ABP, with a BRASS one.
There are still some B-Bodys out there, still w/FAULTY ABP. All '94, and early '95 came through with them.

If you still have the silver colored ABP;
Remove Negative(-) Battery Cable
DO NOT use vehicle, until you install "Improved Brass ABP"!!
www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopexd.asp?=137

^^^^^^^^^^Stolen from Larry the cigar^^^^^^^^^^^

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found one at a local Pontiac dealer for $17 and some change. Got it changed out tonight. Thanks for the help guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When replacing the post assembly I broke the tab off of the cover that protects the horizontal bolt from being accidentally shorted. Anybody know the part number for this item? There really isn't anything clost that would short this out but if I can get one I will to be safe.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.