·
Registered
653 Posts
Bravo!!! Awesome work!!! Definately a cool father, son project

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
niceee...love the rims are they new or just coated?
Thanks! THe wheels are used and we rubbed the clear coat out then waxed them ... they're what I call 10 footers ...look great from 10 feet away! cwm2

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Holy crap! Looking at that finish, I'm am impressed that it was painted in a garage! VERY nice. :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dust control ...?

I've found that swifering the walls and ceiling then wet down the floor and wear tyvek overalls and head cover cuts down considerably on the dust in the paint. Plus I have an exhaust fan running as soon as I start spraying it's huge - I jerry rig it up to a window and it keeps the over-spray from settling ..;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
More mods?! ...

Added this new console to my son's car, still have to SEM/dye it to match his burgundy interior, but for now he has cup holders! Not bad for a $15 junkyard pick!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Came out of...

That came out of a Blue Roadmaster wagon - Fit the caprice, I mean Impala ;) perfectly!
What did that console come out of?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amazing project, it turned out awesome. Love to see (old) cars being turned into beauties like this one. Even more amazing for the budget you had, nice job!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The saga continues..

Well I never had the car aligned after I dropped it from civilian to Impala height, so the front tires got chewed up, they now need replacing. I had to replace the opti, and I changed out all the plugs and wires at that point, replaced the coil, and ground wires. Just this month the Transmission blew, with help from the local club members we put in a rebuilt one, and it lasted all the way home then it too decided not to shift!!! :mad: Looking at options, for a center console, and cutting the 60/40 seat to 40/40 w/console. Next Hot cam and 3200 Edge converter ... maybe it's time to upgrade my transmission to a CPT Level 2 and give my son my tranny!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update on son's 95 DCM clone .. transmission

Well the tranny keeps working then not working.. some guys thought is was electronic in nature. Pulled the battery and let is sit... hooked it back up worked ... did a burn out back to same problem shifting issues..

Spoke to Bryan at PCMforLess he said:

Sounds like the infamous OBD1 stall wall. What happens on a burnout or hard launch the VSS signal drops our and pitches that code and drops the tranny in a limp mode. If it does it and then you can shut the car off, start it up and it shifts properly immediately then this is most likely it and we do have a fix for it.

So I'm going to have the PCM flashed .. seems like I'll need to do that anyway so might as well check this off the list of maybe's !

Stay tuned!
-Dave

·
Registered
526 Posts
That's a nice way to spend time with your son! He will appreciate it when he is older if he doesn't already. Never heard of the "stall wall" either thanks for sharing some knowledge.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Now it's a motor swap...

It's been a while since the son's clone was on the road, now the tranny acted up .. we replaced that with a used one and an edge high stall converter.
That combo, along with an incorrect tune had the old motor
with 250K on it spin too high and she developed a rod knock.
It was so bad the motor stalled.

So the next chapter in this rebuild saga was a motor swap.

Here is the crew that helped:

and the resultant empty engine bay:

Garage chaos:

Junkyard motor was cleaned up, intake was painted a.k.a LT4
and a known working regulator rail, water pump
injectors, opti, and mild SLP/S10 converter and throttle body were
transplanted.

Then the junkyard motor install (after head gasket replacement, complete interior de-gunking and cleaning):

Had trouble turning over the new engine .. I even posted a thread here thinking the starter needed to be shimmed
.. turned out to be nothing more than loose wiring at the block
and at the starter, pulled the fuel pump fuse to crank the motor and build up
oil pressure -then insert fuse .... moment of truth
did we sink good money into a dog or would we be lucky?

Turn the key and the motor started immediately! :)

Test ride to my buddy Hamilton's house and all is okay..just a small oil leak in driveway
... must be the oil cooler adapter...

Get home and top off all the fluids and I see the leak it's not the adapter
its the oil level sender seal that leaks, I try RTV but no luck:

So off to the stealership for a new seal:

But it is still is leaking ..WTF .. son needs to leave for school with the car in another day!

Empty the oil AGAIN, apply some brake clean spray and notice some rough area that I had prepped previously
and painted but it looks different ... is that a pin hole?
YUP!! right above where the level sensor screws in:

So what's a guy to do... JB Weld it!!!

and it worked!

She's now on the road again:

and the son is happy:

·
Registered
362 Posts
You have qualified for father of the year in the car guys world. That was a nice transformation and now your son has a nice cruiser for his college years. I would pay good money to have those same experiences and memories with my dad.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Took it to the track!

Well I guess that junkyard motor will do...
Son drove it home from Buffalo, we changed the oil and the next morning drove across the state for four hours @ 75mph to the eastern part of the state, pulled into Lebanon Valley Drag strip, ran three qualifying runs and round one of eliminations - he ran a 15.01 - packed the car up after two hours and drove back to Rochester, ate dinner, and he drove another two hours to the western end of the state to Fredonia.. didn't over heat, leak, or knock... and no blue smoke out the tail pipe!

I think it will be a good daily driver! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
The car looks great, takes some skill to do that conversion IMO

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am 27 and my son will turn 3 soon. And I just admire everything about this thread. I am already buying go kart frames and footballs and t ball sets. Father-son bond is amazing, your son has an awesome ride. You did a great job on everything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
your son is blessed, im 29 and have no relationship with my father......it must b an amazing feeling to b able to share a hobby like this.....kudos to u both and best of luck to him with that car...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts