Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I know that when properly set up, almost any big-name sub sounds really good. However, when it comes to sound quality, it's about accuracy of sound reproduction, and not so much SPL. SO, what I'm asking is, What would you guys recommend as a "sound Quality sub"?
In an S-10 I have a "low grade" JL 10" that sounds real good and accurate, but it seems weak. In my caprice, I have a Fosgate HX2 12" which is strong as hell, but the bass is a little sloppy, for lack of a better word.
---Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would go with 2 JL 12"W3 subs. Thats what I have in my SS and they sound great. I are tight and hit the notes right on. You can also get crazy with these subs and make them bang. I am running them with a JL 500/1 amp going to each. Mine might be up for sale if I decide to go with the new JL 12"W7.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overall i've been impressed with JL audio. I wouldn't mind getting another one or two, but I was thinking of seeing what else was out there.
Let me know how those W7's sound!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a sealed box always helps sq. and 10's are always a bit better for sq then 12's are. 12's hit a little lower and a little louder. but they do get sloppy. it also depends on the amp, if you have a good clean amp that has good control of the speaker then that helps too. i really like the jl w0's, the 10 inch version is what i had in my 85 seirra and they sounded really good. maybe 4 w0's in the rear deck would help? they can handle 200 wrms easy and maybe more if your careful. they don't need a big box either.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one JL 12W3 in my SS in a sealed box. I've been extremely happy with the SQ, although mine is probably under powered with only 180w going to it.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear a set of W7's at the Dallas Auto Show a couple of weeks ago. Ya just gotta hear them in person. Very loud, but, low and TIGHT. Sorta like everything wrapped into one. They were either 2 10's or 12's a bandpass box. It was at a promo booth for JR's Car Audio. They sound better than they look.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
name a price and I'll disregard all that other crap mentioned for SQ intentions and tell you what there is for SQ

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You think JL Audio is crap?
What's a good sub? Alphine? Rockwood? Pyramid Super Blues?
What's good? Share your knowledge.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always liked the JL subs too. I've had the entry level 10's in a few of my vehicles. The sq of the 10's in a sealed enclosure is great. bass is tight and controlled. no flopping around. And they hit pretty hard for 10's. Just make sure you get good, clean power to whatever subs you chose, and you should be ok... :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a box with 3 JL 10w0s in it. Sounded pretty good :D I sold the subs themselves to a friend with a Sentra :D Needless to say you can feel you tonsels vibrate. Sounded pretty good (esp for the $$)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used to have some 12" Kicker Solo-Barics (before they were square) and now I have 2 JL 12w3s, and in comparison, the Solo-Barics overall were better. Just my .02.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you honestly think w3 or w0 or Kicker are SQ subs you guys need to explore more

for same price theres another world, the w7 is nice how ever for the prices its a joke

Maelstrom name a price I'll list the subwoofers that sound great and give good bass, JL is not one I'd put in, they are how ever not bad subs, just not SQ

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
71'~ What would you recommend if price were no object. Instead of us giving you a price to recommend something... Give us a couple different suggestions in a couple different ranges...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any wise person knows that every brand of car audio equipment that's sold at any store on the planet is way overpriced. Form the best equipment, to the worst cheapest boat load of bullsh*t.

If you think JL Audio is crap, that's your opinion. Some folks can't stand Kicker as a whole. Some can't stand PPI. Some folks even think that Diamond Audio is booty equipment that's overpriced.

This ain't no slam or anything. But, what's got me scratchin my head is, you haven't posted any particular subwoofer that you think is good for SQ. BUT you're "kindly" slammin everybody's suggestions, from what it seems like. From JL Audio, to Xtant subs.

Share your knowledge. Please? What equipment are we ignoring, that will blow IASCA's mainstream stuff out the water?
<in advance> Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well there's always mmats, dd, strokers, shockers, brahma's, treo's. the list goes on. sonic fx is a small company thats just getting started, and i know the founder and he's really smart and makes his own stuff. 150 bucks for a 12" that handles 500 wrms and sounds beautiful.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm partial to fleetsides comments. The W7 is a great sub but for the $$ it is a joke. You can find 2 twelves or 10s that will get just as loud as a w7 and cost less. W3s do sound great my freind just put 3 of them in the back of his BMW and it hits pretty hard and sounds a world better than mine.

Jl is a great product but I think all of their stuff is too expensive for what it is. Some other good sq subs would be eclipse and image dynamics. The image dynamics have been arguably the best SQ sub on the market but anything can sound good if set up right. I like the way solos sound but I also like boomy bass but if you want natural reproductioon of sound they aren't the best.

Eclipses and Image Dynamics get my vote. If your lookin to spend some $$ then go for the Jls they are a great product and if set up right can have amazing SQ. You also might want to look into mb quarts, they have subwoofers and if they are anything like their highs then they are top notch. I've never heard them personally and ain't a big fan of audiobahn but I have read good things about their SQ woofers.

anyway you go good luck

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know how anyone can say the JLs are too expensive. A 12W3 can be had for $150 or less all day long on the internet. Yes, you'll pay more at your local dealer. But if you compare the price, sq and spl they are great subs.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah you can get anything off the internet for cheap but you can also buy kicker comp vrs for $125 brand new with a waranty and they can get just as loud and I think they sound just as good.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the ppi c2's are another great sub, and the alumapro stuff is supposed to be good too. just have to find a good dealer on the net and u can get great prices.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IASCA's mainstream , lmao most them are sponsered and those guys put enough work any tihng will sound right ok heres things I suggest in price ranges

100-150, my vote is Adire unless you find IDQs at that price (most the time they don't carry a warrenty by that cheap tohugh)and Naks cost less then all, they might sound a bit better but they can't put out the SPL like the other two

150-200, I'd say IDQs, Arcs, A/D/S high end ones,

200-300, IDMAX definatly if you find it for $300, usaly more like $350, there is also all the subs from Audio Mobile, I suggest the Evo-R or the MASS is quiet nice too, but I'd proably say Evo-R in SQ, and the Crystal CMPx2 is quiet nice also

after 300 things are just expensive, thats where Eclipse fits in, even though they dont' sound any better then a IDQ really, just louder, I could of included Dynaudio but honestly I think even for SQ most people would like more output

When you get really expensive you can go to Velodyne at $600-5k area I believe, I'm not sure since I myself never see them cause there is no real palce where I live to see that stuff, but they are Servo controlled, they'll give the most percise bass probably avalible short of a couple companys that are just way to far out there, also they aren't particulaly extreamly amazing due to the fact frequencys below 60-80hz really don't have distortion, pretty much any thing but actualy muscial bass that you want isn't audioable

I'm sure theres more subwoofers, like the Xtants Steve is using I'm sure are fairly nice

but I still don't consider JL a good run for the money in any case, but they do sound fairly well, if you ge a special deal on them go for it, but they are a huge name in car audio now, a lot of advertising, so of course your gonna see them a lot

if you wnat any opions on any thing I'm sure I can give one
if I don't know I know some one that does, if they don't you probably don't want to waste your time

1 - 20 of 48 Posts