Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

source lower control arm bolts

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Fred Kiehl 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up this car. I put it on ramps to have a closer look at the undercarriage and I got a nasty surprise. The nuts on the lower control arm bolts are missing and the bolts are backing out!! The car recently had ball joints, shocks and springs replaced and it seems whoever did the work didn't properly torque the control arm nuts. Where can I source some new bolts and nuts? Or at a minimum, some nuts. It seems these are "lifetime" non serviceable.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Where can I source some new bolts and nuts? Or at a minimum, some nuts. It seems these are "lifetime" non serviceable.

These parts do have part#. From the description they may be M14(size) 95mm(long) and 10.9(hardness) 2 pitch(coarse).

11502629 (91-96)

bolt hex m14-2X95 PNTD 10.9PC

14054921 (91-96)
nut hex M14X2X13

Long shot but a dealer might have them. Or search the upper bolts and look at the same manufacturers for lower bolts.

#8 ·
These parts do have part#. From the description they may be M14(size) 95mm(long) and 10.9(hardness) 2 pitch(coarse).

11502629 (91-96)

bolt hex m14-2X95 PNTD 10.9PC

This has been replace by this # https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/...nsion_front,,6a25f0db173babbef62a874381455c0b

14054921 (91-96)
nut hex M14X2X13

Here's the nuts https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-nut-14054921.html

Long shot but a dealer might have them. Or search the upper bolts and look at the same manufacturers for lower bolts.
Thanks ZO for the start on searching these out.

Mark: Snowman-33

#3 ·
WOW!....can you say catastrophic?

Hate to think what could have happened had they fell out. I believe the Nuts also have that little "Crush" to them that helps lock them in place. When tightening up the suspension be sure to do that while the car is level on all wheels (suspension loaded).

You may want to consider a Donor Car or check with someone here who is typically selling Parts....Fred Kiehl and Vautsmier? both come to mind. I believe I may even have a set from a recently parted 9C1....let me know if interested.

Another option could be a early (2nd Gen) Camaro or even the 80" Monte carlo line. Those cars have similar Suspensions and some of the Aftermarket specialty Stores may carry them and will work with our cars. for example, I think the Upper Control Arm Frame bolts are the same in the F-Body.

#5 ·
I do not usually source bolts, but the nuts are called prevailing torque nuts. They are only supposed to be used a maximum of twice, but using them once, and tossing them, is not bad idea. I hope you find the bolts. If you have a JY near you, you may be able to pick some for cheap. If not going to the JY, take one with you when you are searching.

Buicknutt may be able to supply them for you. He has a number of B and D body cars he is parting.

#7 · (Edited)
According to the FSM there is no washer needed. The body side needs to clamp the ends of the inner tube, and a washer would spread the load, limiting the clamping pressure on the tube.

The load on the bolt is in shear, so there is little end load.

Remember to tighten the bolt with the suspension fully loaded.

#9 ·
One of the reasons I dig around these questions is I usually learn something, not always connected to the original issue.

If the link breaks:
11502629 is replaced by

11518132 Part Description BOLT, Steering Idler Arm

#11 ·
#10 ·
Here are the Lower Control Arm Bolts/Nuts from a 96 9C1 I'm parting. If you want them, $20 plus the ride. I should be able to find a small box for them as I'm not sure a padded envelope would be a good idea with these Large Bolts.

Attachments

#13 ·
If I'm incorrect on this, then please help me understand.
Thanks Bud.
Mark: Snowman-33

Perfect internet detective work.

I had no intent to cause a issue. Only reason I re-posted your find is links break. Next week, next year either the link breaks or the website closes and your work disappears. Using links to Ebay are the worst. I use several forums and I get frustrated when a great bit of info is provided in a link that has disappeared. So I just put the numbers here in this thread.

#14 ·
Everyone mentions the forum crash, but for me the photo-bucket losses are much worse. You find a good thread but all the pictures are now missing. This is why I urge people to learn to scale down pictures (paint will do it) and post as thumbnails. The thumbnails should last as long as the thread does. Third party information disappears much easier.

#16 ·
The posts can not be "fixed" or updated any more, because they become locked after a couple of months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.