Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads-up on the even dozen Scam - Spam threads in Chinese over in the Engine Problems/Maint. section this morning. This a carbon copy of occurrence on the Cadillac Forums yesterday and the day before. I reported it to Admin using the preferred procedure for notification (i.e. 3 dots in the post and 'Report')

Checking just now I see there are numerous Views but still no Replies, so thanks goodness for that. But 6 hours later and they have not yet been removed. So just stay wary of ANYTHING that looks hinky.

View attachment 192712

·
Super Moderator
8,342 Posts
Cleaning them. There's an error with the spammer cleaning tools so I've reached out to Admin to get that fixed. Otherwise I can ban and remove but it's time consuming. I'll ask about getting more controls in place about keeping these spammers and bots out.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given the direct (and even more, the ancillary) impacts of the 'new platform' I applaud your 'endeavor to persevere'.

·
Super Moderator
8,342 Posts
Ironically it's all still there, but it's like that guy who moves the cups around just because. Spend 15 minutes just clicking around on stuff and you'll find everything you used to have.

OK, I think I cleared all the spam out. If you see any more, report it, and we'll get it taken care of. I will say the new format does have some nicer moderator cleaning tools.

Unfortunately it seems we have pinballed from one platform to the next without any society agreement on what communication forms are optimal. Decades ago it was email (remember the NAISSO digest?), then forums, then facebook, and now the forums have been changed to make it more facebooky. Obviously much of it is driven by ad revenue, and it does cost money to host and administer these forums, but don't think for a minute that psychologists haven't had a say on how to make this more addictive. Am I the only one that is constantly tempted to attemp to scroll to the bottom of the facebook feed so that I can then exit out?

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind 'change for its own sake and nothing more' if it helps some coding interns make some pocket money. But I really resent shoveling out that half-baked untested programming and forcing everyone to participate as unpaid beta testers, and the weekly release notes pawning off fixing their own bugs as "wonderful enhancements to improve forum experience".

There ARE positives with the new platform though. I've amassed 63 Points and my Reaction Score is up to 211! So, I'm stoked, but still haven't quite figured what to make of all my Trophies.

But what is this facebook feed thing you speak of?

·
Super Moderator
8,342 Posts
All right guys, somebody posing as a Canadian made a thread about skin cream. And 59 minutes later he was deleted as a spammer. Bam.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
About 11 days after this forum sprung a massive data leak …
One suggestion after visiting the Lincoln Online forums:

We had way too much of our commonly sought technical information in the forums, and not enough out on the main page (www.impalassforum.com). The Lincoln forums literally have 200+ tech articles not on the forums, but on the main page in the "Tech" section. Our tech section hasn't been updated since 2002 and has barely a handful of articles.
Going forward, it would be wise of us to try to store as much of that as we can out there.
It provides a safe place for the data, condenses it into one spot, and avoids the need to search through 50+ threads to find the result of the discussion. Let's encourage those members who are passionate about their particular neck of the forum woods to prepare and submit those articles to the Tech page, making them less susceptible to losses like this.
PLEASE click on this, so we can all be on the same parchment …

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Or, we can all reread Fahrenheit 451, maybe learn our lesson that way …

·
Super Moderator
8,342 Posts
Happy Easter and good day everyone, another 7 spammers stopped dead in their tracks before ever hitting the forum, just this morning!

The VerticalScope developers have done a great job setting up mechanisms to keep the garbage out. Way to go!

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aw, now that's no dam fun. The unintended consequence of improved blocking is not getting to see the newest lunacy in scamming mentality, - and talent. We need a new Stickie! 'The Official Collected Caught/Cleaned Scam You'll Never See'.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya in all seriousness - thanks. Potential for damage runs high considering what some folk's blithely clicking on the stuff inside them could cause.

·
Super Moderator
8,342 Posts
Maybe they'll start offering 39 Million masks for sale.... (seriously, which geniuses thought some company was just SITTING on THIRTY NINE MILLION MASKS with all the demand right now?)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts