Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1992 OCC
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spare tire well on my RMW is... almost non-existent. The spare tire can clearly be seen hanging there from the outside, under the quarter panel. It makes the interior noisier than it should be, especially for rear seat passengers. I've been planning to make a fiberglass patch panel to place there, but I wondered if there were any sources for new sheet metal for that area?

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
The only place you will find that body panel is in a junk yard. Southern yards tend to be better sources. Something like that is a part that can be fabricated from metal, but the cost will astound you. If you know someone who is near a P-N-P yard with a good wagon, maybe they can cut it out for you.

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1992 OCC
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds to me like I'm better off going with my original fiberglass panel idea. I've done it a few times in the past with great success, it's just tedious having to do the initial shape inside the cavity... and then the sanding, and the itchiness... 😖

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Use some cardboard and clay to make a mold, and then sand the cardboard off of the fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1992 OCC
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have all the materials I need, it's basically free for me to do it myself other than the time and effort. Just have to decide if that's enough 🤣

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
CAD (carboard aided design) templates, sheetmetal, pop rivets, seam sealer, paint, and rubberized undercoating will have it working as designed, and invisible from the outside. Don't forget the drain hole in the bottom!

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1992 OCC
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bahaha! I'm kinda surprised this panel isn't still available, it rusts out on just about every B-body wagon I've ever seen. At the very least I'd expect the aftermarket to cater to it

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,781 Posts
You should really take that piece to a machine shop and have them make you about 100 copies.

Reactions: Marky Dissod
1 - 11 of 11 Posts