Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends!

95 Caprice Wagon.
Installed a new complete fuel pump assembly. Car VERY happy. Suddenly, cranking but no start.

1) She has spark
2)Fuel pump works - jumpered in engine compartment, can hear fuel pump running.

If I disconnect battery and reconnect, she starts on the first crank then immediately dies, even when I have the fuel pump jumpered.

Please, help?

V

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
If you don't disconnect/reconnect the battery, will it start?

If you do disconnect/reconnect the battery and it starts, how long does it run before it dies?

What is your fuel pressure?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) No
2) dies right after it starts (fires on first crank, then dies)
3) it was running and starting GREAT just before this, after I put a new fuel pump in. It was WAY happy with new fuel pump. Jumpered fuel pump in engine compartment, still dies immediately after starting.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Just because the pump runs, doesn't mean that it's building pressure/sending fuel to the engine. Many have had failures of the hose between the actual pump and the top of the tank on new pumps. Pump runs, but leaks fuel internally back in the tank without building pressure.

What does not fit the M.O. of a fuel pressure issue is that it will try to start with a battery disconnect/reconnect and will not without it.

When you say "fires on first crank" - I'm trying to interpret what that means. Any chance of a video with audio?

How did you verify it has spark?

Does it have spark both with and without a battery disconnect/reconnect?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had spark with battery NOT disconnect/reconnect. First thing I thought of.

Was starting and running brilliantly after the new fuel pump.

I assume a sensor is unhappy. which one?

1995 Caprice classic wagon.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Well, you've got air since you're not on the moon, you've got spark, so fuel seems to be the missing (or extra) link in this triad.

Have you tried starting it with the accelerator at ~50% or more? Could be a temperature sensor went south - when they fail, they default to -40 so go extra rich to the point they won't start/run if it's not -40 outside (assuming it's not -40 where you're at :)).

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have not tried starting it with accelerator at 50%. Is there a fail safe that kills power to the pump? When I say it fires on the first crank, I mean it starts, then dies. A friend thought there was sensor that, if it thought you were in a crash, would cut power to the fuel pump. I have to drive over to the inferno around Portland today (from Eastern Oregon) but tomorrow I hope to have time for the wagon. I miss my car! :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts