Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So while remving the spark plug wires, I had a hard time removing the driver's side spark plug wie for the plug all the way in the back of the engine block. It seems that the wire goes through a metal bracket atta ched on the block.

Question is how do I get the new wire into that bracket? It doesnt look like the spark wire can be threaded through becuse of the big rubber boots on each end.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I am using an AC DELCO replacement set, and some of the new wires don't have a straight boot on the end that plugs into the Opti. The boots are more like 45 degrees.

Could I have gotten a wrong set?

The metal cover on the boots are sold seperately?

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
Those are normal; the 45 degree boots go on one side of the opti for clearance reasons. You can see how I routed mine back in the factory locations in my Impala restoration thread here.

The metal covers are reusable and are intended for the rear plugs where the downpipes go.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Experience: There is really no useful way to replace wires without removing the brrackets and pre-assembling the wires into them as shown. Do NOT neglect to install new heat resistant* convoluted wire loom. Your baked new wires will have you regretting if you do. And yes, metal end protectors do not come with wire sets. Reinstalling the existing ones is fine.

*Typically a gray stripe

Reactions: Jimpala95

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
The 4 wires that are shaped to 45 degree at opti end,go on pass side so they can be tucked in board of rear a/c compressor mount. In my pic above it's of driver side.In this pic you can kind of see,the pass side need to hug the block when rounding the corner going back to plugs.Gotta stay inside of accessory stack bracket and rear a/c mounting bracket.I took off the rear a/c mount bracket to run the wires past it.Then bolted it back on. I cut a slot out for the bracket to frame makes it much easier to put it back on and when changing a/c comp.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
I find it way easier to assemble the plug wires, clips & brackets on the work bench then install them from under the car. I remove the starter for PS and push the opti end between block and accessory bracket

only use "grey stripe" (heat resistant) convoluted split loom on the #7 plug wire that goes between bracket & block. Regular split loom will immediately melt. You can re-use the stock one if it is still good or buy grey stripe online

the plug boot heat shields can be purchased at auto part store if you need them, otherwise re-use the stock ones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts