Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a quick question. How much should I worry about the routing of the Spark Plug Wires on my 95 Caprice? Let's assume that at some point before I purchased the car, the factory wire looms were removed and never replaced (except for one easy one that does nothing and wasn't attached to anything). I replaced the wires and am sure that none of them are in direct contact with the exhaust manifolds nor are they in the way of any moving parts. As long as they stay clear of said dangers, does it even matter?

The only one I really worry about is good old number 7. The plug wire is supposed to go out the back, down and around to the front, and the routing of this seems a little sketchy. Any precautions I could take to prevent the wires from a premature doom?

Also, I purchased an MSD wire set and the coil to opti wire is clearly wrong for an LT1...it is the same connection on both ends, no spark plug connection. I have not yet looked but can I safely assume that I could purchase just this wire elsewhere? Or option B, the set came with 10 wires, so I have one extra with the Spark Plug Boot and the other wire is the supposed ignition wire. How hard would it be to Frankenplug something together? Or would I need to purchase new terminals for that wire?

...As a side, just installed new Opti, wires and PCV valve and the car runs like I remember when I bought it...not relevant to this post, but I'm excited. I'll probably pick up an EGR as well since it looks possibly original to the car.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I would get hold of MSD, or whereever you got the wires and say WTF...give me the correct coil wire.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My set came with 10 wires, 2 were coil wires. One is correct, the other is for the newer style coil.

I routed my wires just as factory. Others strap tied them out of the way, I guess to ease installation. I guess as long as they get from opti to the correct plug, that's their purpose.

Work from under the car and through the wheel wells [wheels off], its not too bad at all. Use dielectric grease and listen for the snap as they seat for proper installation.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have always gotten two coil wires with Taylor wire sets. One works and the other one doesn't.

I tried ignoring the wiring looms once, especially on Old number 7. It wasted no time finding a way to contact the manifold. The next time, I did it the right way, especially where heat contact is even a remote possibility. Took a little longer, but they're in a safe place now, not to mention looking a lot better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then...maybe my coil wire is on a cylinder but all the wires seemed too long to be the coil wire. I compared the old wire to the new as I was removing and replacing each one and everything matched up. My extra plug wire was longer...like 3 or 5...so maybe I need to reconfigure. How long is the coil wire in most kits? All of the MSDs were a bit longer than stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts