Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm changing my ignition wires when they arrive in the mail. I'm using the stock Ac Delco professional 7mm silicone wires. One of my 4 way wire holders is missing the top portion- the lock half of the clip. I can't find anyone who stocks this clip (just the plastic section) that says "Fits our cars". I do find Napa has one that looks very similar. Wondering if anyone knows which part does the job equally as stock. Is this part discontinued? Does anyone know where to find this part or one very much like it? Thanks Notes. This is the clip by the AC compressor.
Grey Pink Asphalt Font Wall

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Spark plug wire retainer part numbers that I used.
1-way PN# 12132228
2-way PN# 12132229
3-way PN# 12163607
4-way PN# 12132272 Have not tried these yet, but probably will. Not real pleased w/ the Dorman 4-way(s) I bought.

MSD Wire Separators #8843

Dorman 40295 may be the ones babywag did not like?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing the part numbers. I went ahead and purchased them (2 way, 3 way, 4 way). I already have 1 ways. Just before you posted, I was reading about the 4 way # you quote posted. A corvette member on another forum was asking if the same number (4way # 12132272) was the correct one for his car. I hope it is a good fit on my bracket as a complete set (2 way,3 way,4way) ran me 57 bucks not including the grey stripe hi temp conduit-another 30 bucks for 10 feet. One company wanted less than 2 bucks for a 4 way clip but 19.99 for shipping. I backed out of that one for something more balanced. I'm going to wind up with extra clips which I purchased extra on purpose since I'm buying shipping anyways. I think around 10 bucks for clips and 10 shipping was the balance between the two on each type clip. I had to source from 3 separate companies. That raised the price. I guess in the end, 87 dollars in fastening correctly is worth a lifetime of wishing I did. Last thing. I'm going to need the Conduit clamp set. I see them on Amazon. They say Nylon but I don't know if that's the only benchmark component for hi temperature resistance alone. Is Nylon alone going to be resistant to heat?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Nylon alone going to be resistant to heat?
Nylon is like saying steel. There are different types. Have a look at the link. Melting points vary from 428 deg F and higher. A example is normal verses gray stripe split loom.

Most engine wires are 105 deg C(221 deg F) so cheap nylon would work in the engine area but not near the exhaust.

In a plastics injection plant I think we had to get the glass re-enforced nylon up near its burning point to inject it into the mold.(680 deg F?)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is my arrived by Mail "Delphi" ignition clip. seems the same besides slight difference in design in the triangle locking mechanism being opposite sides from part to part. the little bump circled in the picture also-whatever that was for. I don't remember my original clip resting against anything. Whatever. So far happy for finally after so so long having the wires potentially locked in place near the AC compressor.
Wood Hand tool Font Art Pollaxe
Wood Gesture Font Symbol Metal
Camera accessory Font Art Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fits nice and tight. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to install the clip on the bracket the opposite way I have it? example ... so when the clips opened for a wire change I would unlock the clip from the bottom and swing it up? Can someone help which way would be easier for future maintenance?
Arm Font Audio equipment Wrist Thigh

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Are you replacing the loom too?
Yes, I am replacing the loom too. I purchased some 3/8 loom "with grey stripe" for high temperature applications. I'm trying to do my new wire and plug change as best to factory as possible since I have the chance with my engine bracket out and ac compressor detached from the motor mount. Aside from being an expensive job because of shipping on the clips and loom etc., there are some challenges too. 1. The wire clips I purchased from Rock Auto that attach to the metal hanger strips that are mounted to the side of the engine block only have capacity for fastening one single wire. The factory service manual shows only 2, 3 and 4 wire clip capacity wire clip clips (opps not true and corrected on next post). 2. The wire loom "Convoluted Conduit) "Clamp" that shows in the drivers side bank having 3 conduit holes and only using 2 for the cylinder 7 wire near the firewall that makes makes u turn-I have yet to locate a vendor. I see the single convoluted conduit nylon clamps on amazon but not with capacity for multiple conduit to pass through. As I'm attending this project more and more, I'm seeing that having it identical to factory is not really mandatory to get factory results. For example, I could utilize the rockauto 1 wire clip if I wanted too. Why Rockauto has it for sale as a GM part under our cars is reason enough to say, we are on our own. Last note. I also need 1 size larger convoluted grey stripe loom for the 3 wires to pass through from clip 20 in the diagram to the towards the opti.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Illustration Art

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oops, my mistake. I guess there is a 1 wire clip, passenger bank, cylinder 6. (The only clip Rockauto has under 95 Impala. My other clips had to be purchased from separate places.
Handwriting Font Wood Hardwood Paper

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is what I'm working with right now.

*single wire clips from rockauto. Gm#12132228
*4 way Delphi clip for a corvette I purchased online from some company. Partnumber was provided above. 12132272
Font Wood Tool Eyelash Handwriting

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Waiting on delivery of 3/8 grey stripe conduit (hopefully correct size) and 2 way gm wire clips. All this different vendor stuff is killing me. Then I need 3 more things.. 1.the Conduit holder near the firewall drivers bank that holds the u turn there. 2. single conduit holders. 3. the larger convoluted grey stripe conduit to the opti from the passenger bank.
Art Font Wood Visual arts Illustration

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, I am replacing the loom too. I purchased some 3/8 loom "with grey stripe" for high temperature applications. I'm trying to do my new wire and plug change as best to factory as possible since I have the chance with my engine bracket out and ac compressor detached from the motor mount. Aside from being an expensive job because of shipping on the clips and loom etc., there are some challenges too. 1. The wire clips I purchased from Rock Auto that attach to the metal hanger strips that are mounted to the side of the engine block only have capacity for fastening one single wire. The factory service manual shows 2, 3 and 4 wire clips-never a 1 capacity wire clip. 2. The wire loom "Convoluted Conduit) "Clamp" that shows in the drivers side bank having 3 conduit holes and only using 2 for the cylinder 7 wire near the firewall thT makes makes u turn-I have yet to locate a vendor. I see the single convoluted conduit nylon clamps on amazon but not with capacity for multiple conduit to pass through. As I'm attending this project more and more, I'm seeing that having it identical to factory is not really mandatory to get factory results. For example, I could utilize the rockauto 1 wire clip if I wanted too. Why Rockauto has it for sale as a GM part under our cars is reason enough to say, we are on our own. Last note. I also need 1 size larger convoluted grey stripe loom for the 3 wires to pass through from clip 20 in the diagram to the towards the opti. View attachment 204866
Where did you find that hi temp loom? Im having a hard time find them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is my drivers side. I changed my sparkplugs yesterday (not wires yet). I used the (FSM recommended) AC Delco 41-906 double Platinums like I had in before. That conduit I have on the rear plug wire near the firewall that is fed behind the retainer channel is "not" grey stripe yet. This was only a test as removed the channel and cleaned it up and I'm getting parts and things together. Actually, this is the first time that wire has been ran behind that retainer channel since I owned the car. I'll admit, I always zip tied and fastened to the brake lines because I never had the parts to do it all right. It works but I'm trying to get it correct while I have the space with my suspension out and engine accessory bracket out. It's about a $200.00 or more job for plugs, wires, clips and conduit. It's either that or worry about my wires being in the wrong way later "all the time". The debate about "if it matters if the wires are not installed in factory clips and looms"- I will say this. I had an 94 Caprice that had wires installed in all their factory looms with 200k miles. When I changed the wires for misfire problems, after removing the old wires, they were stiff and cracked. they took all that abuse until time to change vs this being my 2nd set on this car. My first removed wires were still nice and soft. They had a misfire. My current current change is not because of a misfire. It's because I'm not putting all this work in new clips, looms, and conduit to install used wires when I have a chance to start fresh. These wires I am going to remove (in photo) are actually still good with low miles. All debatable. All I can say is they never rested on exhaust parts. And they were not ran in identical factory routing-just as good as I could for whatbI was trying to achieve. Last note. For those trying to achieve some sort of result with minimal work, I installed these Spectre wire separators shown in the picture as a test fit. The way this looks, I dont see to much wrong here. You could add the grey stripe conduit around the wires for added shielding and it would be better than I had. Then again. Doing it right could possibly last many many many miles. That's what I'm trying for this time. This way I know for myself the difference.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Fuel line
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where did you find that hi temp loom? Im having a hard time find them.
I purchased mine from WiringProducts - The Place to Buy Automotive Wiring Supplies on the left side of the page scroll down to wire loom near the bottom of the catagory list. They have hi temperature (grey stripe which I purchased). They also have flame retardant loom which I didn't see until after I made my purchase. if somebody wants to educate here go ahead. I purchased the grey stripe because that's what I researched and clicked my purchase on when I did missing the flame retardant kind. As far as the 3/8 being correct to wrap around the wire,,,,I chose that size by my own measurement with calipers. 3/8 seemed to be a slightly larger size to get around my 7mm AC Delco wires. So that's what I'm hoping. We will see. I'll try to post a sample fit when the conduit (loom) arrives. If the link above stops working its wiringproducts.com

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm waiting on the wiringproducts.com 3/8 loom so I can measure the Outer Diameter of it. Then I can purchase the 3 hole loom clamp for it to install in drivers bank cylinder 7 near fire wall. Does anybody know where they sell these 3 hole nylon clamps? --Which only utilizes 2 of the 3 holes as I understand? I have not found a lead yet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yea im in the process of doing plugs and wires on my 96. Already got my ac delco plugs and wires now just want to get the looms and some speacial tools to make the job easier still researching that part. But before i do the plug and wire change im will doing the air pump delete to make more room to work with

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is my Nylon Grey Stripe Loom that arrived. The outer diameter matches my old loom. That is 1/2 inch (.500) total diameter size. I thought about using a smaller tighter loom but thought it may be a pain to get it around the wires and possibly causing harm to my new wires from bending them around forcing the loom on. Plus, I think if I'm correct, the existing loom near the air pump was put back on by me when I did previous wire changes. I can't remember ever purchasing loom for wires. I just put the old loom back where it was that was still salvageable. Now if the previous owners had installed different size is beyond me and maybe someone else can correct if the factory loom was tighter on the wire. My photos show this will work on the drivers. The reason why I point to drivers side is because I'm not sure how this 1/2 inch is going to stack up on the passenger side where the AC compressor is. In other words I'm wondering if it can be too much loom at 1/2 inch. Now for the next step is to choose a loom size that gets 3 wires in it for between the opti and that larger loom clip (Drivers side still). Also that 3 hole loom clip for the 180 degree u turn. I'm going to throw this out there since it's been on my mind...Does it really need to be clipped there at the 180? I don't want to run it with it removed but it doesn't seem like the wire can move much on such a tight turn (maybe I'm wrong?). The wire and loom seem stiff enough all while it's a short run going from the plug into the channel retainer. I may have to get creative if I can't find the exact loom clip.
Calipers Tool Bicycle part Gauge Measuring instrument
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Water Wood
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 90 Posts