Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
What are the best spark plugs and wires to install during a full tune-up...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

having done this recently the ac delco wires are the only wires with the proper resistance. also you will need wires of the proper diameter so that they set as OEM built.

I would use the ac delco iridium plugs .

not an easy job good luck .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good look on the info... Done the job b4 haven't had a tune up in the last past 4 years. It's time for a new tune up... Last set of plugs and wires were. NGK double ground ends w/ ac delco wires. Def did just and surprise it held up this long. Just was wound earring what others was putting under the hood...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the ac delco wires are the only wires with the proper resistance
Really. True, they're good wires and perfectly acceptable, however the only ones? No. There are many options out there. Taylors, MSD, Magnecor, etc...

Run a search on the subject for a more complete understanding of what's available.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I used MSD wires and AC Delco double plat plugs. Most here will recommend the AC plugs for the LT1. Taylor also make a good wire.

Nothing wrong with Stock replacement wires, if you use them I would stick with GM wires and not something from Autozone. They are a pain to replace the wires and most plugs are accessible through the wheel well area if you remove the tire and lift the splash shields.

He is what I did the last time I replaced plugs and wires. Maybe it will help or give you some ideas.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=271808&highlight=MSD+wire+separator

·
Registered
934 Posts
^^^^^ same plugs am running right now

·
Registered
337 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the factory plug wires aren't very good with their small diameter, high resistance, and pain in the ass wire looms? MSD, Taylor, Magnacore, and DUI make much better plug wires than OEM. The factory spark plugs are pretty good, however I have found out after trying several brands that the Autolite Iridium XP plugs seem to work the best in most GM V8's and V6's. Single and double platinum plugs do work pretty good, but they have one major flaw. The platinum pucks can and do fall off sometimes which can cause serious valve damage if it gets stuck between the valve and seat. I've never had any damage caused by a puck falling off, but I have had one occasionally disappear hear and there over the years while servicing various vehicles which is why I don't use them anymore. The worst plugs I've used are anything from Bosch. They cause surging problems in alot of GM vehicles and I don't recommend them for anything GM makes, but I have heard they work pretty good in some European cars like BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Steve

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the factory plug wires aren't very good with their small diameter, high resistance, and pain in the ass wire looms? MSD, Taylor, Magnacore, and DUI make much better plug wires than OEM.

Steve
so your opinion is factory ac delco wires that came with these vehicles have high resistance. My belief is the wire resistance must match the engineered design of the spark generating components. too much resistance the opti will get higher voltages inside the distributor. too low of a resistance components will get damaged from higher currents created.

what wires made have the same resistance as the OEM ac delco ? ac delco new wires have resistance from 700-1500 ohms / wire.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Im not going to argue whether low resistance wires such as MSD are better than high resistance OEM wires because it's already a known fact that has been proven over and over again by more aftermarket performance companies and race teams worldwide using dyno data and real life track time. I have never heard that low resistance wires will damage other ignition components and have never experienced any such failures from using them even though I have used them on countless vehicles over the past 25 years. To each his own I guess.

Steve

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
My belief is the wire resistance must match the engineered design of the spark generating components. too much resistance the opti will get higher voltages inside the distributor. too low of a resistance components will get damaged from higher currents created.

what wires made have the same resistance as the OEM ac delco ? ac delco new wires have resistance from 700-1500 ohms / wire.

Not sure what wires would match OEM in resistance other than a factory replacement like Bosch or store brand. I wouldn't shy away from a lower resistance performance wire which is better quality based on this.

FWIW - I really don't think the minor difference in resistance between stock GM wire and performance wires are great enough to cause "damage" as you described.

Based on Ohm's Law and the high amount of voltage from the Coil, the difference in current is negligible to other components in the system. There is 40,000+ Volts from the coil and there is only 100-1500 ohms difference in resistance which is nothing to that Voltage. Can't argue with Ohm's Law.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Not sure what wires would match OEM in resistance other than a factory replacement like Bosch or store brand. I wouldn't shy away from a lower resistance performance wire which is better quality based on this.

FWIW - I really don't think the minor difference in resistance between stock GM wire and performance wires are great enough to cause "damage" as you described.

Based on Ohm's Law and the high amount of voltage from the Coil, the difference in current is negligible to other components in the system. There is 40,000+ Volts from the coil and there is only 100-1500 ohms difference in resistance which is nothing to that Voltage. Can't argue with Ohm's Law.
not to argue but I measure these wires of these so called "correct" fit for my impala and the resistance is like 3K-4,000 ohms...
anyone out there measure the wires there putting on their vehicles ?

low resistance very vague to me .... need to know before buying what it is ...

·
Banned
3,437 Posts

the issue is , what is the resistance of the low ohm wires like MSD and others that advertise that these are the correct wires..?

I know that the OEM wires cost more to manufacture than the store brands like advance which has a resistance in the 3500 ohm area...

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
what is the resistance of the low ohm wires like MSD and others that advertise that these are the correct wires..?
An MSD Super Conductor 8.5 mm wire at 20" long measured 60 Ohms.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
...what wires made have the same resistance as the OEM ac delco ? ac delco new wires have resistance from 700-1500 ohms / wire.
Taylor:

"After digesting all this info I plan to stick with Taylor wires as the stock AC Delco wires are only 7 mm and 1000 ohms per foot. Overall Taylor wires provide a very good bang for the buck. There are 2 versions of their 10.4 mm wires that you may what to consider, Taylor TV 50's and 409's. The only difference is the TV 50's are of lower resistance than the 409's, 50 ohms per foot versus 300 ohms per foot. Of course the TV 50's are more expensive."

source

Various from 2006 LS1:

"stock LS1 6 in. - 351 ohms

Granatelli 8mm Steel Solid Core Cable - 0.1 ohms
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor - 71.6 ohms
Accel 8.8 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wire - 166.1 ohms
Jacobs Electronics EnergyCore 8.5mm - 178.3 oms
Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Silicone - 301 ohms
Mallory Pro Sidewinder 8mm Silicone Suppression Wire - 313 ohms
Moroso Blue Maz Spiral Core 8mm - 661 ohms
Magnecor KV85 Competiton 2.5mm - 2053 ohms"

source

There will be deviations between these results and other mitigating factors (i.e., plug type, etc...) so nothing is etched in stone. However, there is no proof that the stock wires are any better or worse than comparable offerings. They're good wires, but...

as stated, to each their own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same as simplybess. I like the oems too, I used a msd cap and wires and ngks iridiums, they only had 3 ac delcos. which I do like and never had a failure. I haved used all oem before and would never dare get the cheap wires or cap for this. Make sure you check that they gave you 8 plugs as the 45 year old moron behind the counter thought it was a 6 cyl.> Christ only 1 engine and it tells you to sell 8 plugs.. pfft

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
taylor:

"after digesting all this info i plan to stick with taylor wires as the stock ac delco wires are only 7 mm and 1000 ohms per foot. Overall taylor wires provide a very good bang for the buck. There are 2 versions of their 10.4 mm wires that you may what to consider, taylor tv 50's and 409's. The only difference is the tv 50's are of lower resistance than the 409's, 50 ohms per foot versus 300 ohms per foot. Of course the tv 50's are more expensive."

source

various from 2006 ls1:

"stock ls1 6 in. - 351 ohms

granatelli 8mm steel solid core cable - 0.1 ohms
msd 8.5mm super conductor - 71.6 ohms
accel 8.8 300+ ferro-spiral race wire - 166.1 ohms
jacobs electronics energycore 8.5mm - 178.3 oms
taylor spiro pro 8mm silicone - 301 ohms
mallory pro sidewinder 8mm silicone suppression wire - 313 ohms
moroso blue maz spiral core 8mm - 661 ohms
magnecor kv85 competiton 2.5mm - 2053 ohms"

source

there will be deviations between these results and other mitigating factors (i.e., plug type, etc...) so nothing is etched in stone. However, there is no proof that the stock wires are any better or worse than comparable offerings. They're good wires, but...

As stated, to each their own.
thanks for this valuable info !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts