Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be updating my sound system very soon. I'm not looking to do a lot like add amps or woofers. Just looking to step up my old and outdated receiver as well as go with some 6.5's up front.

I have the mount plates for adding the 6.5" round speakers up front but not sure which to go with. I may just get a combo speaker that has the tweeter and all built in. BUT....I was also looking at the Component Speakers that have a 6.5" woofer and then a separate tweeter, usually 1" unit that can be surface mounted or recessed.

What have you guys gone with in a 6.5 arrangement? Did you get the all in one or did you do the component setup? If component, did you mount the tweeter to the same board as the woofer or did you mount it up high somewhere and where how did you mount? If I go this route, I'm either thinking of putting the tweeters up on the a pillar or maybe on the little plastic door trim that. Covers the side mirror nuts.

Just looking for some ideas and what you think sounds better a component setup or the all in one speaker.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
http://www.customspeakerpods.com/Front-Door-Speaker-Pods-for-65-Speakers-GM-00-00-01-A.htm

That's what I use. On my old Caprice I cut a small hole near the top of the panel and had them in there. Components sound much better than a coaxial (all in one) but if you're not gonna run an amp you might be better off with a drop in coax. I remember reading somewhere a while back that you either want the tweeter within a few inches of the speaker or more than a foot apart otherwise it messes up the staging. My last two vehicles have had tweeters in the dash which gives a really nice front stage.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.customspeakerpods.com/Front-Door-Speaker-Pods-for-65-Speakers-GM-00-00-01-A.htm

That's what I use. On my old Caprice I cut a small hole near the top of the panel and had them in there. Components sound much better than a coaxial (all in one) but if you're not gonna run an amp you might be better off with a drop in coax. I remember reading somewhere a while back that you either want the tweeter within a few inches of the speaker or more than a foot apart otherwise it messes up the staging. My last two vehicles have had tweeters in the dash which gives a really nice front stage.
Thanks for the link, but I dont really want to do anything to the factory door panels. The mounts I just got will fit under the Door panel in the stock location and allow you to mount the 6.5's. I like these cause they are hidden under the stock panels. Just want to get a little better sound without butchering up too many stock parts and keeping it fairly simple.

From some reading I did on Crutchfields site, they recommend that you mount the tweeters at Shoulder height. A lot of the newer cars typically have these mounted on the A-Pillar or at the top of the door. I have no problem cutting up an A-pillar or door trim since I have extras if I ever go back to stock.

Thanks....Anyone else?

Maybe have some pics of what you used for some larger front speakers and if you went with seperate tweeters, where you mounted them.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I would not mount them to the spacers in the doors. Tweeters play higher frequencies, which are very directional. You want them pointed at your ears as best you can.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not mount them to the spacers in the doors. Tweeters play higher frequencies, which are very directional. You want them pointed at your ears as best you can.
That's what I was thinking based on what I see in new cars and what Crutchfield recommended which was "shoulder height".

It looks like the plastic trim panel on the door that covers the side mirrors might be a good spot or somewhere on the Apillar. I thought about the top of the door panel, but I really don't want to cut up my otherwise perfect door panels.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
same here looking for advice as well.
Guys, I'm leaning toward the componet setup myself. It looks pretty straightforward, but if I do I will document it and take some pics. Might be a little while before I get to it...still got Brakes to do, Twilight Sentinel Install, a few other things and then the stereo and speakers.

IOWASSFAN - I like the idea and dont see why that wouldnt work. Just a little longer to run the wires or crossover circuit to the woofers.

Not sure it would be for me though. I like things more subtle and wouldnt want to get rid of the ashtray or disturb the clean lines of the dash panel....but that is just MY preference.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I thought about getting this. http://www.customspeakerpods.com/Ashtray-Replacement-Pod-GM-00-00-05-A.htm

Then mounting two tweeters in it aimed at driver and passenger, and keep the center open for switches. What you guys think about that?
I dont like that idea either. Your taking sounds that are meant to be coming from the same vicinity as the midbass speaker and moving them to the center, with both tweeters closer to each other than they are their respective mid. Maybe it would be alright if you were running them on a seperate center channel. But you would still want tweets for your left and right.

I'm dealing with a similar dilemma, heres what I considered options:

1. The custom speaker pods "door pods". My concerns with these are mostly due to the flimsy door panels. If I were to use these I would make considerable effort to strengthen and better mount the door panels. I dont want the panels absorbing a ton of viberation from the speakers and rattling.

2. Mount the 6.5's in the door with a custom spacer and mount the tweetersin the A pillar area. Similar to this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/67912-kickin-old-school-1996-impala-ss-sq-install.html

3. The final option I am considering is scrounging some door bezels froma Buick Roadmaster with the concert II sound package and mount the tweeter to that. But you would have to do something about the mirror adjuster on the driverside bezel of the caprice/impala.

Right now I'm pretty set on going with option 2.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2. Mount the 6.5's in the door with a custom spacer and mount the tweetersin the A pillar area. Similar to this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/67912-kickin-old-school-1996-impala-ss-sq-install.html

Right now I'm pretty set on going with option 2.

I really like what they did with those A-Pillars. I think that is a little beyond my capabilities, just never worked with that stuff. Got an extra set of pillars so I may try that or I may just go with some surface mount tweeters. But those pillars do look good.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I really like what they did with those A-Pillars. I think that is a little beyond my capabilities, just never worked with that stuff. Got an extra set of pillars so I may try that or I may just go with some surface mount tweeters. But those pillars do look good.
The company that did that is http://www.simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/ they are in california, but you may be able to email them and see how much that costs.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I can do pillars.

Thump's.

Primer

SEM Dye.

In Juan's DCM wrapped.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Never thought about that. Guess I will have to find some where else to mount them. My A pillar already has the 3 gauge pod so dont think it would work or look right to have the tweeter there. Maybe have to look at the door panel idea.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can do pillars.

Thump's.

Primer

SEM Dye.

In Juan's DCM wrapped.

Nice work!

I'm still going back and forth in my head if I want to do Componet Speakers or go the easy route and just go with the 2 Way units on the door. If you do a-pillars for others, would you let me know what you may charge to do mine. Shoot me a PM if you dont want to respond here on a price.

Would have to consider shipping cost too I guess, and could be pricey for these large items. I may check around with some local Audio shops too as I get closer to buying the parts. I'm also just considering a surface mount tweeter that swivels on the door trim near the mirror. The options are limitless....it's quite maddening looking at all the options and I'm just doing a basic little setup of 4 speakers and a new receiver. :confused:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Watts, what would you charge for that? I shipped mine to Bing from Simplicity a few years ago. I paid a pretty penny for them but he obtained an Impala and used my tweeters for optimal imaging. I'd definitely say it was worth it for me.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The company that did that is http://www.simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/ they are in california, but you may be able to email them and see how much that costs.
Got a very fast reply from him. I know this is a time consuming job, but it was expensive. He was familiar with doing these on the impala and the quote was about $400 :(

I'm not looking to spend that kind of money to have someone else do it. I may just go with some surface mounts or if I can't find a suitable location for them, will just go with some 2way speakers in the door or mount the tweeters on the adapter plate with the woofer and angle the tweets upward.

I found this document that outlines the process and all the materials needed. I may still try this myself, but thought someone else may find this article worth looking at and doing yourself.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Fiberglassing_Tweeters_Into_Your-A-Pillars.pdf

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Great link! Makes it seem pretty easy. This might have just got added to my never ending to do list. Would work for make my triple gauge pod one piece with the pillar. :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts