Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime in the next few weeks, I am planning to (finally) install the new head unit and speakers that have been sitting in my basement all winter. As part of the install, I will be running new upgraded speaker wires.

For the back speakers, is it better to run the wires down one side of the car or the other? I plan to run both wires down one side so that if I install an amp at a later date, I can run the power cable down the side that doesn't have the speaker wires. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As long as you don't run the signal (RCA) cables down the same side as the power cable for your amp you'll be fine. I've always ran the power on the battery side of the car then the RCA cables, changer cable, ect., opposite of that then run speaker and remote wire down the middle of the car.
Always run sheilded RCA cables when you get your amp. Some RCA's will also have a wire down the middle of them. which is actually a ground them which keeps the signal in them from picking up noise(rockford cables have that feature).
I'd probably run 14 or 16 gauge wire for full range speakers. Run 12 or larger for subs.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It hadn't occurred to me to run the speaker wires down the middle of the car. Is that any more or less difficult than running the wires down either side? Is there some kind of conduit or wiring passage already in place there or do you have to remove the carpet to do this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts