Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oem are pretty much shot in my SS. I've got a Delco unit and I need speakers only. I guess the ones in the front doors have to be 4 ohms also? Does the wattage have anything important in this?. I guess my focus was elsewhere on most of my rides.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 ohm and get the most efficient speakers you can find. Bes case scenario you'll probably only get 15W out of a stock HU. Not really too much more out of most aftermarkets either.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the gang dropped a pair of 6x9's for me to try. They are 4ohms,100Watt power handling maximum, 65Watt power handling RMS, whatever that means. The magnets are like 20lbs.... I mean heavy. They just won't drive, they play but it just doesn't power up. Head unit too weak or whatever? Just would like to get basic info.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first swapped out my stock speakers with some decent pioneer speakers I was loving it. The Stock Head Unit did an ok job with the pioneer speakers but I will say this: once you start upgrading, your gonna want more!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I chose to leave my stocks and have a Pioneer 860(gotta have a CD player with EQ) and it made my 10 year old speakers sound better than my friends 07 Silverado speakers with stock radio. I'm still amazed by the sound, although it is a bit distorted at times and especially with the radio. But with 2 15"s fired up in the back, you cant hear the distorion, just the highs and lil bit of mids.

I have 6.5" comp set from CDT that I will install sooner or later and run a 100x4rms amp.

My point, if you plan on upgrading the main unit, do this first before spending money on speakers

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would like an explanation on the watts, RMS, ohms, at least the basics. Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me? Well my pioneer is at least 18rms and stock h/u are very weak.
Francios I would get at least an aftermarket deck for $200-350

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the perfect site for illiterate audio guys. Thanks for the help!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW:

Put a set of Polk 6 x 9's tri and 6.5" 2 ways up front. It sounds way better.

Yeah the stock head unit could use more power but the point is the stock head unit sounds better with upgraded speakers.

Want to keep the stock head unit so maybe I will add a amp???

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well actually you can put an amplifier on the factory radio, I have done it multiple times. I have a car stereo business I do part time and I have done it in an 85 buick lesabre and in my 96 at first and I just recently done it in my girls 06'. The thing that you have to take in consideration is pure crisp sound. The sound will be hightened with just a small amp w/o changing factory speakers (I have done it before). But it depends on sound quality you like if you just want a bit more just go bet an rca line out adaptor and run an amp and you can play a little. Now if you want more I suggest buying the aftermarket speakers and radio at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts