Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what do most g80 93 9c1 cars top out at and how do i take the speed limiter off so i can really top the car out...lol...naw but is that possible or does anybody have any experience in that field...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually that helped very useful thanks...but im trying to find out how to remove the limiter...and where is it located..and the safe way to remove it...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The limiter is programmed in your PCM. Get it reprogrammed to remove the top speed governor.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok whats a programmer to buy to do this or what kind of shop could i go to do this?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removing it is really just changing it to an unattainable speed. Since it is already at 130mph, save your money, you won't be exceeding that without some significant modifications.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 95capricewagon:
well on my wagon the govener is at 108 mph.
then i guess it's time to have a talk with Mr. Herter, if you want that thing gone.

Jodogg, unless your planning on modding that L05 significantly enough to where your gonna have to have a chip burned, i wouldn't worry about the limited. like deanstud said, it's kind of an unattainable goal here. these aren't top speed dragsters or anything. it's more of a clean cruiser car. i would just save up the money for other meaningful mods before worrying about getting the governor removed.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i had a couple of mods in mind if i did keep ill see how it goes thru..thanks guys

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to change it in your chip! and everything they have said, our cars are more cruisers

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mines its 110, and it kills me when i hit it, going down hill with cruise control 109 isnt a good idea. lol

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weird, my 91 Caprice with the 305 in, it runs 190 Km/H on the odometer and 181 real ones..(10% margin for the loss due to tire size and age of the car))

I know for sure, because I got a ticket a while back.... :mad:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In an 89-93 Bcar (Caprice for example), the limiter is programmed in the chip (i.e. the EPROM chip inside the ECM, the engine control module). The chip is removable and reprogrammable.

In a 94-96 Bcar, the limiter is also programmed but it's stored in the non-removable memory of the PCM (powertrain control module, as it controls the engine AND transmission). The PCM is also reprogramable using different (electronic) tools than for reprogramming an ECM chip.

The 170 fwhp LO3 reached 128 mph using 2.56 rear end gear in one of the Michigan State police tests of the 9C1 Caprice police package, circa 1992 test. This engine was identical to the one used in non-police Caprices. The 205 fwhp LO5, using 3.42, reached 130-133 mph during the 1991-1993 MSP tests, and that LO5 was a 9C1-only option (bigger cam, exhaust, injectors). The LO5 version obviously got to top speed much quicker than the LO3 car did, but the top speed wasn't much different (+5 mph) even though there was a 35 hp difference between the two engines. High-speed aero friction soaks up power quickly, as shown one year later in the 1994 MSP tests: the 94 LT1 9C1 ran 141.2 mph with 260 fwhp, so it was 8 mph faster than the LO5 with 55 extra hp.

Most non-9C1 TBI Bcars won't go as fast as either of the above TBI 9C1s because the civilian cars got 108 mph limiters programmed in the chip. The speed limiter is always a close match to the tire speed rating from the factory (see your driver's door sticker for the tire speed rating). Civvy cars usually got S-rated tires. Cop cars usually got H or V rated tires/

It's not a big deal if your car runs 110-112 mph (instead of 108) because the ECM only knows what speed it thinks it's going based on the presumed tire size and VSS output at the trans tailshaft housing. The limiter will kick-in when it thinks your going 108, even if you are showing 106 or 110.

It makes little sense to repogram the limiter (and to pay someone $75) if you have no clear straight safe place to test it..... nevermind what the police would think, and that $75 could be otherwise spent on actually making the car quicker (air cleaner mod, cam swap, gear swap, exhaust etc). The engine mods frequently make the engine get better fuel economy as well.

It makes much more sense to mod the engine and THEN get the ECM reprogrammed to cope with the new engine mods, and get the speed limiter reprogrammed at the same time. It makes no sense to do the limiter alone. YMMV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts