Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off does anyone else have a speedhut vacuum gauge? Maybe someone can shed some light on a problem im having before I call speedhut. My new vac gauge pegs at 30 and will not move. It won't even go back to zero and I have it hooked to the vac line above the pcv valve which has strong vacuum. I'm stumped and I know some of you run these gauges so maybe someone can help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I just checked their website and checked their vacuum gauges.

It appears they are electronic and not mechanical. When I say mechanical - a gauge containing a curled bourdon tube attached to a gear mechanism and indicator needle. And they operate exactly like a mechanical pressure gauge; increase the pressure the tube tends to straighten out, lower the pressure and the tube curls up more - both based on zero pressure being static/ambient pressure.

The above said, Speedhut's are electronic, meaning an electrical sending unit on the engine sending an electrical signal to an electronic gauge receiving unit.

Send it back for a replacement as it sounds that it is 'tits up' from what you have described.

Gotta say, damn expensive gauges; nice looking but expensive. When it comes to vacuum though I'd stick with mechanical - bourdon tube type gauge and 1/16 or 1/8 inch tubing.

Good luck - or good 'suck'......?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are nice gauges but I have to say I am NOT impressed. On top of this bad gauge they also sent me a cheap broken fuel pressure sending unit for my fuel gauge so now I have 2 out of 3 new gauges not working and these things cost enough.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
If it is pegged at 30 (I assume 30" HG vacuum), are you sure you don't have 12V on the signal wire. Or maybe the ground on the signal wire? I believe it is the a 3 wire sensor, just like we use on engines at work.

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on some SPeedhut gauges, and a vac/boost gauge is on the list. I think I would prefer a mechanical gauge as well, but I want all my gauges to match, and I don't think speed hut sells a mech version.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The signal wire has 5v which is what I was told it should have from speedhut and I wired everything exactly as another member here did ( it was in the recent speedhit group purchase thread) but still no dice. I mean the wiring is so easy it baffles me as to what the problem is. Also my trans temp gauge is not reading either now. Once again it's just simple signal wire to the temp sensor and I don't understand the issue. My fuel pressure gauge is the only one working right now and it's wired the same way as the other two. I find it hard to believe that I got 2 bad gauges. Very discouraging to say the least. I wired the acc to the radio and the gauge lighting to the ashtray light and grounded everything. The vac gauge was zeroed when I got it and once I added power the needle made a full sweep. As soon as I hooked up the signal wire to the vacuum hose the needle jumped to 30 and now will not leave that spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.