Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my CEL bulb, after i put the dash back together, i turned on the headlights and the speedo turns off and the temp,oil,volt and gas, dont even light up. What the heck is wrong? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll ask the obvious, probibly not the cause but needs to be asked just to eliminate it as a possibility question ;) : Did you bump the dimmer knob? Or accidently hit the lights-out button?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Section 8A-117-9 of my _95_ service manual has a trouble shooting guide for "None of the panel lamps will light with headlamp switch in 'park' or 'head'"

Do you want me to type it in, or do you know someone to borrow a FSM from?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you please write that up for me, i have a Chilton book but i couldnt find anything about it, i'll have to double check maybe i skipped over it and dint notice.Thank's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this exact same problem for a long time...replaced or tested many things. Replacing the light switch panel including the dimmer did the trick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the light switch and dimmer today, its still doing the same thing. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Undo what you did and see if it works. And if that doesnt work, redo what you undid and just stare dumbly at it. Or, you could borrow my cluster and see if it works normally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the _95_ FSM! If GM changed something between years, this might not help. But if it is the same, you should be good.

Switch in "park"
Probe I/P lamp dimmer switch with a test light between term 'd' (yellow) and ground.
Is light on?
--No: Check for poor connection at C200 term 'B8' (yellow).
------Check for open in ckt 32 (yellow) between I/P lamp dimmer switch term 'd' and I/P fuse block.
------Check for open in ckt 9 (brown) between I/P fuse block and headlamp switch.
--Yes: I/P dimmer switch to 'max'
-------Probe I/P dimmer switch with a test light between term 'a' (dk green) and ground, is test light on?
--No: Check for poor connection at I/P lamp dimmer switch connector. If OK replace switch.
--Yes: Probe I/P dimmer switch with a test light between term 'a' (dk green) and term 'b' (black), is test light on?
--No: Check for poor connection at G200.
------If G200 is clean and tight, repair open in ckt 450 (black) between G200 and S201.
--Yes: Probe I/P lamps dimmer with a test light between term term 'b' (dk green) and ground and term 'd' (yellow) and ground, is test light on for both terminals?
--No: Repair open in ckt 32 (yellow) or ckt 44 (dk green)
--Yes: Probe I/P lamps dimmer with a test light between term 'c' (gray) and ground, is test light on?
--No: Check connectors at I/P lamps dimmer connector. If OK replace I/P lamps dimmer.
--Yes: repair open in ckt 8 (gray) between S209 and I/P lamps dimmer term 'c' (gray)

You already seem to know where the dimmer switch is.

The dimmer though is on the side of the steering column, connector has three wires. This is the thing that makes the speedo go dim when the lights are on.

C200 is the 56 cavity Body to I/P harness, it's bolted above the accelerator pedal.

G200 is a ground located at the base of thge LH A pillar behind the LH kick pad.

S201 is a splice located in the I/P harness 8cm from the C200 break out.

S2090 is a splice located in the I/P harness 20cm from the Ambient Light Sensor Connector break out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to know what a CEL bulb is? Is that a blub in the cluster?

If so, maybe when you disturbed the cluster contacts when you removed the cluster you got a bad connection when you replaced it.

If thats the case the connectons need to be carefully cleaned with a pencil eraser and tightened GENTLY by prying the contacts up a little.

I know that when you switch on the headlight switch, the speedometer's power supply is switched from a non-dimmed source (which has a cutoff switch in the 9C1 cars) to the dimmed source. So you clearly have an open circuit somewhere in your dash cluster dimming circuit.

This could be the dimmer switch at the headlight switch, the headlight switch, the dimmer control module that is controlled by the dimmer switch, or an open wire somewhere.

However, if it was working before you disturbed the cluster, I vote for a contact issue behind the cluster...

Let me know if this helped...

Lee B.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed when i roll the dimmer all the way up the DOOR OPEN light on the dash turns on. WTF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel your pain ,I hate fire in the wire problems,hats off to the people that understand them,that stare at it dumbly thing never works for me ,I have tried couple of dozen times,sure was funny to have that guy bring it up,I thought I was the only guy trying that,LMAO,well I chuckled anyway.Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved, i replaced a reley type thing in the dash and now the lights work all the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm... what kind of relay thing? One of the things my Caprice is doing with it's bizarre malfunction is the dash lights were flashing on and off with something clicking...

Lee B.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sorta have the same problem, but mine only works if you turn on the head lights. Would the relay switch work for that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not saying im 100% sure but most likely yes, i'll take a pic of the part that was culprit behind my problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah where is this relay? My speedo just completely went out yet all other gauges work fine. I was also having trouble getting the dome light to come on with the dimmer switch (would have to keep playing w/it).

Also, for some reason when I get around 50 mph I hear a clicking noise, sounds like it's coming from the left side of the dash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.