Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished R&Ring the axle bearings and seals on my 96 9C1. After I installed each axle, and c-clip, I rotated one of the axles to gain access to the pin which goes thru the carrier.
After doing so the spider gears are no longer aligned perfectly with the pin hole.
-How do I get the spider gears to walk so I can get the pin back in the carrier?

This is on an eaton posi carrier & gears I purchased from Dan @ C.I.A.

I spoke with Dan and he referred me to Randy's Ring & Pinion. I wasn't able to get a hold of a live tech guy and left a message for them.

I was hoping someone here might be able to help out.

Thanks!

· Registered
121 Posts
ok are you saying you turned the axle to turn the diff to have access to the hole the pin goes through? if so cant you just hold the diff and turn the axle? Im confused

Edit: yes I know it's another unpunctuated long ass run on sentence oh well I mean whats to stop me from even making this one a long ass run on sentence.. haha

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I rotated one of the axles to rotate the carrier after removing the pin which goes thru the carrier, so I could have access to the c-clips.

I installed the new axles, and c-clips, and then rotated the carrier back where I could access the pin hole. The spider gears are no longer concentric with the pin hole. They've walked about 1/8 of the hole.

Summit support one the first call said to hold the carrier and rotate one of the axles. That didn't work, as it rotates the entire carrier

I called back and spoke with someone else, and he said I'm fighting the spring pressure of the positraction, and that if I have a brass punch to insert that into the carrier hole, and try and pry/move the spider gears back to concentric with the pin hole.

As soon as I finish eating lunch, I'm gonna head back out and see if that will work.

· Premium Member
1,494 Posts
You need to rotate the carrier, not the axles.

· Registered
121 Posts
could you just pull out the axle and re-align it up and put both axles in at the same time? If it is being a pain is all. I bet you will figure it out you'll say "oh WTF was I doing" haha

· Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Put the car in park
jam one axle so it can't turn
put a bar across the other axle and nudge it to turn.
Everything will say still but the one side gear and the spiders.

Watch the thrust washers under the spiders as they can sneak out of place too

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished up the work. I installed one wheel, and lowered that tire to the ground. Then used the brass punch to rotate the carrier ever so slightly. Got everything buttoned up in 15 minutes once I did that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.