Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rebuild my front end and I want to change to the 5/8" ball joints. I assume I have to get a new spindle made for the bigger joints. Is this correct? I guess I would need to find some off a late 95-96 9C1 or Impala, or station wagon. I assume the 96 civilian Caprices had 9/16 joints. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mark,
Yes you will need different/reworked spindles. Only very late 1995 and 1996 9C1 (not civi or WX3) got the 5/8 BJ and spindle combo, so a salvage yard might work.
Someone on this board offers lower control arm and spindle exchange, but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the person you need to contact is navy lifter
he is proabily on the road, you need to
find a "taxi","seo" for the upgrade spindles,

i purchased the heavy duty lower control arms with the 5/8" ball joints from sammy at fairway chevy, but i plan on going to the junk yards and pulling the "spindles" with the 5/8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. How much did the arms cost you? Why do you buy the complete arms, why can't you just change out the ball joints on the existing arms?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The area that the balljoint presses into is different (bigger) on the 5/8" balljoint arms compared to the stock 9/16" balljoint arms.

Talk to Bill Harper (Navy Lifer) at [email protected] as he can do a core swap for you on the arms at a price that is better than GM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.