Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm having a shop swap out some eibach springs for me and something has gone terribly wrong. The eibachs used to be a 2-3 inch drop from stocks.

Now for my problem -
The new springs are Moog part# 5044 {Front} which are the correct replacements.
This picture is with the full weight of the vehicle on the spring. I know they are suppose to settle but 5-6 inches??? What could it be?? At first we thought it was a set of misboxed springs, but the second set came in a sealed box and look identical to the ones installed.
HELP!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moog only makes one spring for the Impala and Caprice even though there is a height difference between the two. Also Moog springs trend to set much higher and firmer than stock. I sold Moog parts for years and have always had this problem.
The only instal factor would be if they were not seated correctly. As long as your sure they are seated correctly I would swap them out for some factory SS springs. call Dal, he'll hook you up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exact replacement for which ones, the eibach or oem, and depend on which oem ones, if you got the heavy duty for caprice, those are for 9c1 and they sit higher, if you got the regular for impala, then they are probably install wrong, they have to sit in a grove on top, if there are not they will sit very high, even if one it's wrong, it will sit high.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are stock oem replacements.

When you say there is a groove....are you saying that the top coil fits into a circle on the top. How deep is this groove? From the looks of it, it would have to be 3-4 inches in order for my car to sit even close to stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tops of the springs may be setting on the top alignment teeth instead of in the pocket. First time i installed springs i did that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the specs in the catalog, the 5044 is both tall has a low spring rate (only 346 in/lbs). It looks like the 8000 or the 584 might give you more of a stock height, and are stiffer and would perform better.

Slightly lower yet it looks like the 586 or 8002 might do the trick.

(I have not tried any of these, just going by specs in the catalog).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should take a look and make sure the upper end of the springs are situated AROUND the crown...not underneath the crown. The crown is an inch or so tall, so that could make a huge difference in installed height.

The other thing to check is to make sure the lower end of the springs are indexed properly into the lower control arm spring pockets. The end of the spring coils should be located between the two small 'drain' holes in the spring pocket of the lower control arms.

I have seen the mis-indexed spring bottoms cause a 3/4 inch higher front end per side. never found a car with the spring sitting under the crown instead of around it.

HTH,

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that looks pretty high. Time for some bigger wheels, maybe 22" or 24" :confused: :confused: j/k Is the back just as high or did you just do the front?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahahah.... Would really look really mean at the drag track.

I would tend to agree with these guys about the crown. Verify the indexing too, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Best of luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.