Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've gotten a set of front and rear sprint springs, and my mechanic who's putting it in today tells me I have to change my shocks asap (right now kyb gasajust), because he tells me that my rear springs will fall out if i hit a hard bump...is this true? are dropshocks necessary? do i need only rear shocks, or all 4? which shocks are reccomended if i need shorter ones?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These shocks have somewhat less travel than the stock 9c1 shocks. You want a stiffer shock with a stiffer springs. Otherwise, the ride will be jumpy because it's underdamped.

Rear springs falling out is a common problem with 2"+ lowering springs. It only occurs when you're jacking the car. Some members used large tie wraps to secure springs to the mounts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yeah, they told me about the springs falling out thing already...i actually got two 9c1 wheels to put in the back temporary until i get some different rubber, because after they lowered the car it just rested on the wheels
Im going there right now, cant wait to see it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what kinda springs did yo u get to dump the ass end onto the tires? I wanna go that low. Ive run lowered springs with stock shocks for a while now with no probs yet 6 mos or so. Only prob is jackin up as stated up there a post or so ago. NAES

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used Sprint springs, which advertise 2/3" drop i believe...i'll be ordering koni shocks as per 9c1lt1's advise...does anyone see a problem with using koni shocks with sprint springs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Konis will work fine with the dropped springs, but they won't make any difference in "raising" the rear end off the tires (if that is what you are trying to do....it's not clear here).

Note that because the Konis are a low pressure gas design (as compared to the Bilsteins, which are a high pressure design) the Konis will ride a LITTLE lower than the Bilsteins or other high pressure shock. About 1/4" or so in my experience.

The KYBs are junk, but I get the feeling you've already figured that out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed, im not trying to lift the rear or anything, I absolutely LOVE the drop of sprint's...My main concern right now is 'jumpiness' which I experience after hitting a bump going above 40mph, and I wiht 9c1lt1 agreed it was shocks. so far from driving few days at worst roads (sunset park and queens) for those who know the area, I only hit the exaust tips because they're down too much and that is only on VERY hard bumps going fast...I want my ride to be stiffer and not jump. Will I accomplish this with koni shocks, or should I go with bilstein? Plz respond soon, Im going to place an order by friday most likely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by the way, to everyone else who is running sprint springs, what shocks/wheels/tires combo are you running, and what problems did you guys encounter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had my Sprints for over a year and I am happy with them.Currently I still have the stock De Carbon shocks(48k),with a 285/30/20 tire on all corners.I did grind the inside of the fender molding in the front.More than likely I will go with the Bilsteins when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.