Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good lube to use on my door and trunk hinges? My door has developed a crazy load sqeak over night its annoying.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Anything that isn't a liquid really. I've used dielectric grease and wheel bearing grease with good results. Anything to lube the area and keep metal on metal rubbing (no ****) from happening

·
Registered
530 Posts
Honesly......I cant believe you even posted this question.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Gear oil is recommended for the doors.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think I use white lithium grease in spray can form (The stuff that sprays on pretty thick and is white to yellow in color not the clear stuff as it doesnt work NEARLY as good!) and do it right before each winter with great results...even have had a friend comment in the dead of winter how easily my doors open

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honesly......I cant believe you even posted this question.
Im glad I did post that question becuase I was using wd40 and it only worked for like a few days at a time. I learned something from this. Just becuase u have it figured out doesnt mean someone else knows. This forum is here so people can learn and maintain there B_bodies so they can have a long life.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Im glad I did post that question becuase I was using wd40 and it only worked for like a few days at a time. I learned something from this. Just becuase u have it figured out doesnt mean someone else knows. This forum is here so people can learn and maintain there B_bodies so they can have a long life.
WD40 is a water displacer. The trace amounts of mineral oil in it are why people think it's a penetrating lubricant. You'd probably get better results from a bottle of vegetable oil than you would from WD-40. Not criticizing it. It's use is just spread far wider than what it's intended purpose was developed for. Liquid wrench, CRC 5-56, PB blaster, etc... are all examples of penetrating lubricants. But you don't want to use these either as they won't last due to viscosity. What's been said about thicker oils and silicone based products is the better option. Tape or place a rag around the surrounding exposed jamb areas or else those areas will get a buildup of dust and crud.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Whats a good lube to use on my door and trunk hinges? My door has developed a crazy load sqeak over night its annoying.
Pure silicone lubricant. I like the spray stuff Ace Hardware sells. Non oily - doesn't attract dirt. Works well on lots of things including rubber door gaskets.

WD40: WD.....water displacement......40 .....40th formula. It is not a lubricant but often used as one including by me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts