Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for one that would want to remove the plug in the oil filter adapter to install a pressure guage, what does this one use to remove that plug? Grind down an extension to fit?

Cant seem to find the "tool" online anywhere...got plenty of search results for BK and cracka when the word "tool" is used...

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
I would think that a standard extension would work just fine. I can look at the spare I have in the attic tonight if necessarry.

I installed a gauge in my ride a few months ago, and removed the oil galley plug in the engine block, above the oil filter adapter.

I got the adapter that fit into the block from 'Ghetto Wagon' for a few bucks delivered.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you know what size it is (5/16" square?) you can use a piece of square steel stock and a wrench. I buy small lengths of 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" square stock at the local hardware store for a few bucks. I can cut off small lengths to use as bits in pipe plugs, etc. and just turn them with an open-end wrench or 8-point socket.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you know what size it is (5/16" square?) you can use a piece of square steel stock and a wrench. I buy small lengths of 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" square stock at the local hardware store for a few bucks. I can cut off small lengths to use as bits in pipe plugs, etc. and just turn them with an open-end wrench or 8-point socket.
Think this sounds like a winner chicken dinner!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Extensions can work if the plug is the correct size. If the plug is in there tight though, you can round it off. Look closely at an extension and you will see that most of them are not flat on the ends but rounded.

Best bet is a properly sized "Square Head Socket" or a piece of square steel the proper size if you don't like buying tools.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You can always go to your local Harbor Freight, Sears, Matco/SnapOn truck and get a complete set of the square bits. The LT1 engine would use the SAE ones. Also most auto parts stores should sell a set of them as well. - Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.