Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently changed shocks to Bilsteins, and changed the end links to the energy suspension red poly. The car feels great, but I must have caught a mouse in there somewhere. I greased the new end link bushings before install, (used chassis grease) but not the bushing at the top of the shock. Was I supposed to? Is there a special grease for these damn things?

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this squeaking? I'm thinking about changing the end links again to the graphite impregnated ones, but obviously would rather not spend the bucks if I don't have to.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the energy suspension peices...there super hard, you need to put alot of grease on them, if they still squeak im totally clueless but i belive is the Energy parts.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A longshot maybe, but the top-of-shock bushing grommets have those tiny o.d. collars that centers and isolates the shock shaft from the mount hole. I never greased them before, but I always jostle and align the whole assembly just before snugging the nut down tight to make sure everything is seated and the shaft ain't rubbing against the side of the hole and causing chafing or any undesirable noises . . .

Is it just me or did that sound dirty? ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best...well for the money... is REESE trailer hitch grease from the Wal-Mart. It's the type of grease that you need for those parts. It's a little different than regular chassis grease.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
. :eek: ..I got that same damn squeek after I installed my front Bilsteins a couple weeks ago!!! Squeek-squeek - bugs me. Maybe I'll de-install the shocks and put some of that grease on the bushings, and then re-install... :eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the top bushings to make sure they are seated properly. And it is possible the bushings are defective....I've heard of that happening before with the Bilsteins. Call up Bilstein, and they should be able to help you on this one.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pb_foots : Martin , I have not installed my Bilsteins yet, but last year , I too had a very noticeable squeak ...
It ended up being the upper control arm bushings...
How many miles on your BeaSSt now?
Are the upper control arm bushings OK?
Good Luck, Jim...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim, there are 77K miles on the beasst now, and I'm sure the control arm bushingshave seen better days, but the squeak started just after I did the shocks and end links. Since the squeak doesn't seem to be related to any turning, but small bumps, I'm thinking that maybe I messed up the shock bushings somehow. I'll re install them this weekend and see if that helps. I'll contact Bilstein if that doesn't take care of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I appreciate it!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...maybe the 'stiffness' of the new Bilsteins vs the softness of the worn out stock shocks is transferring more energy to the control arm bushings, which on a 112K mile car, might not be up to the task any more...?!!??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same squeak on the front passenger side. I've taken the shock off now twice and it's still there. It is the most annoying noise. Just does it on small bumps...I'm going to take the shock out one more time this weekend and check everything out to make sure it's in correctly and than I'll call Bilstien...I think AutocroSSer is right maybe it's the bushing....but than again I do need to replace my endlinks too.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 61,000 mile Impala started squeaking like crazy as soon as I put the Bilsteins on. I sprayed a little silicon on the bushings, and that made them quiet for a few weeks, then the squeaking returned.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I pulled the shocks back out, and found that both top and bottom bushings had the "small OD grommet". When they compressed together, the bottom one had pushed out, and let the passenger side shock touch the mounting hole. Weird thing is, the small grommet area on both bushings touch way before the main body of the bushing. Maybe I got two tops?

Anyway, squeaking stopped for now, let's see if it lasts....Thanks for all the help, gentlemen!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its maybe because you are using the (Red)Poly Bushings,try and go to the Impala Store
and select the suspension section,read the top of that page.
It says,for best performance & less sqeaking
Choose the black as it is impregnated with Graphite to give its black color.The Graphite will prevent the sqeaking characteristics of Polyurethane.

Hope this info Helps!

Aloha Randy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts